Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any point paying extra for a diagonal?

lw24

Hi everyone,

Im looking to get a 90 degree diagonal for my telescope (Skywatcher Startravel 120 Achromatic Refractor), as I only have the 45 degree one which was supplied.

What im asking is, is there any point paying more for something like this, to paying less for something like this?

If i bought the less expensive one, I would have money left over to buy a filter aswell (probably Semi Apo or UHC).

So what do you guys think?

I'd say yes. But many won't notice too much difference.

But Quartz has the added bonus that it doesn't react to temp changes as much as glass (expand etc).

You want to try and make each element in the light's path as decent as you can afford...in my humble opinion :hello2:

in my experience the main things to consider for are :

• 2" diagonal - this will allow you to use 2" eyepieces in the future as well as your 1.25" now. it can also help with balance.
  • compression ring fittings - make sure it has them - this prevents damage to the nosepiece of your eyepieces. on this point you can get a compression ring fitting which screws onto the end of your drawtube which will also prevent damage to your new diagonal. http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/130402-compression-ring-part.html

Other than the above, as long as you get a decent branded diagonal, the chances are it will not be noticeably different to any other including the highly prices ones.

They would both be a big improvement over the 45 degree one you currently have - they are not good for astronomy purposes.

My personal view is that you will not see much of an improvement in the more expensive diagonal but every little counts, so if you can spend the extra money, do.

Well, seeing as I do have the money to spend, I think I'll get it. Every little bit to make the image i see that little bit better counts i suppose.

Because of the need of a compression ring, I think i'll go with this diagonal instead

looks a good choice

Archived