Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ Mount weather proof cover

stampy10000

Hi

I'm currently in the planning stages of converting my 12" dob for use on a homemade pier and EQ6.

The techniques for designing / building the pier and mount adaptor have been covered before, so I won't go over that ground again. What I would like to know is if anyone has made a weather proof cover that would enable the mount to be left in situ on the pier.

I don't mean permenantly, but at least shower proof. It's enough effort to get the OTA out and set up without having to worry about the mount too.

Cheers

Hmmm, greenwitch are only 20 mins away from me. For that price it doesn't seem worth making something up!

Thanks

great to have an astro dealer so close, lucky you, I have one of the covers for my 925 good price for such a piece of kit :hello2:

what's the worst weather you've left it out in?

ha ha, thats the thing, I did leave it all out one night, over 2k sat in the backyard, was a touch risky even with a secure garden, it was not bad weather wise but as you see on the green witch site they do claim to be able to protect the kit in all sorts of weather. :hello2:

A friend of mine who is no longer around, had a pier in his back garden but didn't want an observatory (for reasons he wouldn't go in to) so what he did was buy a large water butt. He fitted padlock hasps to it and the concrete base to lock it down with. He used to leave his EQ6 mount on the pier so all he had to carry out each time was his C11.

Just made mine.... purchased a small tarpaulin from B&Q - £7, folded it in half, cut it in half and then lopped the top off at an angle to match the scopes parked position.... this was the sewn up and then turned inside out - Bingo one cover for under a tenner ! - the tarp even has eye-rings in so you can either use a draw string or bungies and tent pegs to secure it !

Archived