SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astromaster not available, picking a new first scope (bigger budget)

I received an E-mail today informing me that there is a delay on the astro master so I've decided to cancel it and pick another one entirley. Over the past week my enthusiasm has gone over the £150 mark so I've decided to spend a wee bit more. I have my eye on this one...

Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic - SCS Astro

Do you think this is a good first scope to go for? Will I be able to use the celestron lens kit I bought? huh.gif

Any other scope recommendations for a budget of £360 please let me know!

Thanks guys n girls.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An 8" dobsonian is an excellent 1st scope - a big improvement over the Astromaster I think so extra money well spent. The Skywatcher 8" F/6 dobsonian has the same optics in it though, for a fair bit less investment:

Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

The Celestron eyepiece kit sould work fine although the 4mm (if there is one) will give too much power.

Fair enough.

I bought my 12" second hand, for a little over your budget, but it will take me a while to outgrow it.

People tend to look after astro gear, probably a safer bet than many other secondhand purchases.....but I do get the whole 'new is nice' thing.

I can highly recommend the Skywatcher Dob that John refers to. It can be bought new for around £280. The rest of your budget could be spent on a Telrad and a Cheshire collimation eyepiece as you already have your lens sorted.

I can highly recommend the Skywatcher Dob that John refers to.

Thirded.

I know you've already increased your budget once, but if you could stretch to it another £76 gets you the 10" Skyliner which is also worth considering.

I was worried about the size when I ordered my 250px but it was actually smaller than I was expecting and in hindsight I wish I'd gone for the 300.

Thirded.

I know you've already increased your budget once, but if you could stretch to it another £76 gets you the 10" Skyliner which is also worth considering.

I was worried about the size when I ordered my 250px but it was actually smaller than I was expecting and in hindsight I wish I'd gone for the 300.

Wicked man :hello2:

In project management they have a term called "scope creep" - this is an even more apt term with regard to astronomy !.

In project management they have a term called "scope creep" - this is an even more apt term with regard to astronomy !.

I know you have to draw the line somewhere, but honestly for only an extra £xx you could get this... no wait just another £xx on top of that and look what you could get.

Now how did my budget increase to £1000 when I only started at £200? :hello2:

Aperture fever is a real problem in this hobby. I have even toyed with the idea of selling both my scopes to fund a 12'' Dob! Please make it stop!

Alas there's no cure for aperture fever. It's highly contagious and pretty much fatal (to your bank balance.) :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Would be a no brainer for me. As long as you can manage the size, get the largest you can handle.

Try a google image search for the 10" and look for a pic of it next to someone, you'll be surprised how big they are!

My 12" stands about the same height as me on its mount and I'm just under 6'.

I would go for the 10" especially if you can transport it (check the dimensions against any car it will need to go in). That said you are eating up all your budget so unless you will soon be able to come up with extra funds for the extra bits and pieces you may want you may be better off going for the 8" so you've got cash spare to accessorise.

BTW First Light Optics have a great reputation, sometimes give discounts to SGL members and will price match when they can so give them a call or drop them an e-mail about whichever scope you go for before buying.

I have already bought a telrad, a red led night light, planisphere, and the celestron lens and filter kit. Anything else i need to pick up? I think I'm gonna go for the 10"!

Yeah that is a fair point, I definitely want to take it places. Damn. I really want the 10" but I'm not even sure the 8" would fit in the car. Currently racking my brains on how id get an 8"/10" to Galloway forest park 40 minutes away...

I know its greedy but logistics withstanding, I would buy the larger scope as you know that will always think, I might have caught that extra detail in the 10" one!:hello2::D

8" or 10" you will still have good views and I'm glad you avoided the Astromaster with its useless red dot finder that is more likely to generate sunburn than any useful guidance.

Clear skies and look forward to reading about what you eventually decided on.

James

Archived