SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Wakey!

WakeyTiger

Hi all, I'm finally on the verge of buying a scope after more than a year of scanning the market (and saving up!) - decided to go for a Skywatcher 200P/1200 Dobsonian - which for my budget (£300, maybe a little more..) appears to be the best one to go for.

Planning to buy it from FLO after reading the comments on here, so sent them a mail for some advice on buying a diagonal eyepiece and Barlow lens for it.

Live near Wakefield, Yorkshire - but originally from Hull.

Looking forward to finally getting into this, and so are my two young kids too (hence the diagonal eyepiece) :hello2:

Any advice on Dobsonians appreciated, tracking, collimation etc.

Photo imaging - not too fussed at the moment, but I guess it will come!

Cheers all,

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome from me too Wakey :hello2:

hope the scope shows you some great things :hello2:

if its possible try and get to a local astro society, should help you with some questions and general advise, of course you will hopefully get some good answers here :hello2:

sorry, can't advice on the dob as I am using a different bit of kit and have never used one but am sure someone will help.

Hey, thanks for the welcome guys - I'm feeling the love! :hello2:

Nice to see so many other local folks on as well! I'm checking out Leeds Astro Society at the moment, they seem to meet on the other side of Leeds - but it's not too far away, I just struggle to get out in the evenings - having the kids and all. Guess I need to build up some brownie points with the better half :hello2:

Moreso as she doesn't yet know the size of this scope... anyone know the storage space needed for a 200P Dobsomian, I've read somewhere that they're about 1.3m high, with a 50cm diameter base...?

Thanks again for the welcome

:hello2:

h and welcome just down the road near chesterfield you can get some great shots of the moon and other things with just put in a digital camera up to the eye pieces but once you do that the adiction to take in photos will take over a cheap cannon 300d can be had of e bay for about 150 quid and its a good start but fun and games with no tracking are a prob even done it with my mobile phone befor and the results were ok

cheers pat

Well - thanks again all :hello2:

I've done it this afternoon, and ordered the 200P Dobs, coming in April.

No turning back now! :hello2: Thanks to all for the tips on imaging too, really appreciated.

PS - SuperchargedC63 - not really a rugby follower anymore (since the 80's - days of KR v FC Cup Finals!) - but a devout follower of Hull City, hence the userID :hello2: I'm actually from Goole, but didn't know how 'uk-based' this forum was, and thought nobody would know where Goole is! hehehe

Hi Wakey and welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on getting a great scope. You and your family won't be disappointed with the views. My only tip might be to get a right angled finder as the normal straight through ones are a little bit too close to the scope and might prove uncomfortable to view through during long observations. The other advantage is that the viewed image although back to front, won't be upside down making finding the objects from maps a little easier.

Clear skies

James

Archived