Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spider and telescope

E621Keith

I just came back from a observation session. Having already packed my stuff, I decided to check my refractor for condensation. It was lucky I decided to check, when I opened my lens cap, I found a little spider in there spinning a web. I took the scope back to the garden and used a air blower to move the little guy away. Now I have to carefully clean away the silk.

In many years of observing, this is the first time it ever happened to me. I wonder if anyone else had similar experience?

When I first got my C8 I took it out into the garden to do some observing and I left the lens cap on the ground. When I took the scope inside and removed the lens cap (again to check for moisture) I found a slug had got inside the cap and left a trail across the corrector plate :hello2: It took a lot of cleaning!

• 2 weeks later...

reddoss,

I've just had the same thing happen to my new scope (on the very first night I took it out!) How did you remove the slug trail? I have tried using a bit of condensation from my breath and a gently rub with a cotton bud but that hasn't shifted it.

Next plan was to wait until after it's next used and see if it shifts after it's had a "soaking" in dew.

Something very similar! At work, I was using an optical spectrometer and the output signal was modulated (going up and down) every few secs. When I opened it up, I found a mm sized spider going up and down on a thread in the light beam.

Just as well I hadn't turned on the laser...

Chris

reddoss,

I've just had the same thing happen to my new scope (on the very first night I took it out!) How did you remove the slug trail? I have tried using a bit of condensation from my breath and a gently rub with a cotton bud but that hasn't shifted it.

Next plan was to wait until after it's next used and see if it shifts after it's had a "soaking" in dew.

Slug slime is very hard to remove. I used cotton buds and lab alcohol. I suggest contacting the maker/dealer first for advice before you try anything as you may damage the coatings

Baader Wonder Fluid + lens cloth.

Available from FLO.

Never actually tried it on slug slime. But it works really well on fingerprints, sap, pollen, etc. No risk of wrecking coatings, which there could be with neat strong solvents.

Archived