Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Deep Sky Imager Problems

Last night(sat 22nd) i went out with my DSI and my ETX105 through the eyepiece i saw saturn and the rings,went to use my DSI and all i saw was a bright dot no matter which i turned the focus the same happened with mars,is there anything i am doing wrong or anything i am not using...

Please help....

P.s i also cant seem to see anything nebulus.

Why is that?

Thanks

Rob

Hello Rob,

It sounds to me like you have the Camera's gain on too high or you hadn't centred Mars/Saturn in the eyepiece so it would land on your Cameras CCD chip?

Next time out and if the Moon's about try getting the settings of the Camera right whilst imaging the Moon(Focus aswell) then when your happy with what you see take the camera out stick an eyepiece in and find Mars again WITHOUT TOUCHING THE FOCUSSER. Centre Mars in the EP plop your camera in and see if that sorts it out.

Have you tried the camera in the daytime? just to check it's working OK and to get used to the option's and settings of the camera? It's well worth doing so when your out at night you known what your doing with the Camera..

P.s i also cant seem to see anything nebulus.

Nebula's are quite hard to see Rob due to the Brightness of them and differant wave lengths i would try M42 the Orion nebula if you can this will show you some nebulosity under average conditions. Many people use filters to see Nebula's IE: H-Alpha and so forth some Nebula's require differant filters.

Hope that helps, try the Camera in the day and make sure it's working OK Rob..

James

My god it must be catching Daz, your spelling is getting worse... :)

Rob, it sounds to me like the camera was over exposing? So James is right with his advice - lower the gain and exposure. Can the DSI accomadate for planets? or is it a DSO only?

I'm wondering if the reason that Rob is having problems with the planets is that the DSI doesn't do planets?

Also with regard the the nebula most nebula tends to be faintish - M42 is a very good example of a nebula that will show up on the Laptop/OPC screen during capture, quite a few won't show up till the stacking process.

Ant

I'm wondering if the reason that Rob is having problems with the planets is that the DSI doesn't do planets?

I've seen good pictures with DSIs on planets but I've tried with Mars but never been able to stop the saturation, even with the measures James has suggested. :clouds1:

Mmmmmmmm one thing to try next would be too put the Camera into Black n White mode this can be done through the White Balance if i remember rightly? After that select the next one up in the White Balance option's.

Can one of you please send me a screen print of the DSI screen with the Slider's on, this would help you with the next Tip and Probable cause of this as i can point out what to do. I dont have the software to do this myself sorry.

James

Archived