SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another eyepiece recommendation thread.

Ben Cole

With my Skywatcher Explorer 200 came 25mm and 10mm eyepieces.

So to extend on these I'm looking for one around 5mm for planetary and lunar when conditions allow. A 32-40mm for that "spaceship porthole" view and then if necessary or advised replacements for the 25mm and 10mm.

For the short term I am in the process of buying some Meade 4000 series Plossls. A 6.4mm for planetary and the 32mm (from Andrew hopefully!) for wide views. Also getting a 9.7mm Meade 4000 as it's a good deal.

Thanks to advice from Andrew and research on the forum I'm aware of the limitations of the 32mm in terms of AFOV but it'll do for now.

So I'm looking ideally for a 32mm 2" 67degree AFOV for that "spaceship porthole" feeling.

Something of quality around 5mm for planetary.

Quality replacements for the original 10mm and 25mm.

I don't mind spending into the hundreds but nothing too silly.

Or are the Meade 4000 series more than adequate and I should spend just on a wide field eyepiece?

All opinions and alternative ideas greatly appreciated.

Ben

The series 4000 are quality EP's that will do you for some time yet.

By all means replace the 10 and 26 standard ones (I have a series 4000 26mm - £20 if you want it :rolleyes: )

For planetary, an orthoscopic is a good choice. Narrower FOV, but great contrast. There various threads on this type of EP.

Be careful with the 2" choice, as being a fast scope, it will suffer with kidney-beaning on the outer edges. Lower quality = more beaning! Check out the Moonfish range, or Revelation, or if you are feeling flush, the Meade 5000's.

I am in no way an expert :nono: But if I can add my tuppence worth.

Ortho's are supposed to the way to go for planetry and I just bought a 5mm one s/h for £20

As far as i know the Meade 4000's should be pretty good. I suppose the 5000 series are better but I have used neither.

The Baader Genuine Ortho's are the best orthoscopics available at their price (don't be persuaded that the Antares are the same :nono:).

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=bgortho

Similarly, the Meade 2" 32mm Series 5000 is a wonderful eyepiece. At 60 degrees FOV, it isn't the widest but I doubt you will find a brighter eyepiece with a wider area of useful sharpness at its price.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ms500032sp

The Meade 4000 Series fill the gaps nicely and are readily available at bargain prices.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ms4000sp

Hope that helps :rolleyes:

post-12699-133877326051_thumb.jpg

Hi Ben,

You can save money on the planetary eyepiece, orthos are cheap and theres also plenty knocking around secondhand at very reasonable prices. What you will have problems getting cheaply is a 70+ degree widefield eyepiece that works well at f5.

Thanks guys. So it looks like an ortho for planetary..that's that sewn up as it seems consistent with my research.

Looked at the Meade Series 5000 for a wide field which seems a good bet.

I missed out on this auction on eBay but am in contact with the seller for a deal. I can't identify the eyepiece. It matches the Series 4000 super wide angle but it says its a 2" fitting. Any ideas?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130072441608&rd=1&rd=1

If you know what it is and have an opinion on it's performance please post it.

Looks like Auntie FLO might be seeing some more of my readies soon Steve :rolleyes:

I can't identify the eyepiece. It matches the Series 4000 super wide angle but it says its a 2" fitting. Any ideas?

It is a Meade Series 4000 SWA, which has a 2" barrel and 67 degree FOV.

Being an older model, it currently sell for £99 new, which is a lot of eyepiece for the money!

I haven't had any feedback on that model so can't comment on its performance.

The one to watch out for is the 1.25" Series 4000 13.8mm, which is very good!

Hope that helps.

Looks like Auntie FLO might be seeing some more of my readies soon Steve :rolleyes:

:salute: :wink:

Being an older model, it currently sell for £99 new, which is a lot of eyepiece for the money!

As listed here Steve?

http://www.telescopehouse.co.uk/page.aspx?theLang=001lngdef&pointerid=45738sd2jyZONBp6IZah0QGIWp4Chzrf&action=lnk

The one to watch out for is the 1.25" Series 4000 13.8mm, which is very good!

I presume you mean to go with the 32mm rather than instead of?

Yes Steve, link is the same. I won't go for the one on ebay cos he wants 80quid for it. I told him that I thought it was on sale for 100quid and I'd rather pay the extra for a new one. Of course at the time I didn't know whether I was right or not but thanks for confirming it for me.

Sounds like a nice EP though..might have to do some research...shame FLO doesn't stock them!!!

Any update Steve?

Any other recommendations from anyone else?

What about getting the Meade 5000 set from FLO instead of the Baader Ortho 5mm and the Meade 5000 32mm?

How does the 5.5mm Meade 5000 compare to the Baader Ortho 5mm?

Can I ask any more questions?............... :rolleyes:

Any update Steve?

Any other recommendations from anyone else?

What about getting the Meade 5000 set from FLO instead of the Baader Ortho 5mm and the Meade 5000 32mm?

How does the 5.5mm Meade 5000 compare to the Baader Ortho 5mm?

Can I ask any more questions?............... :rolleyes:

PM on the way Ben :wink:

Archived