Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

AP in the summer?..tips please

Hello :hello2:

As I have yet to try AP in the summer I am a bit worried I won't be able to get anything done. As I live in the very North of Scotland 59.9N Darkness doesn't really happen during the summer months and maybe only a handfull of stars are visable.

I know that narrowband filters are the best for cutting through it all but what are my options for a DSLR?

I know that with my recent upgrade to the HEQ5 and soon having a permenant setup I could get fairly acurate GOTO. Guiding however might not be so easy, perhaps a UHC filter for that?

Obviously it will be a good time to try out planetry AP which I look forward too, but will DSO's be out of the question?

Any tips on the subject would be of great help! :hello2:

Thanks,

Michael

I have imaged from central scotland (56N) at solstice and full moon. You will need a really tight filter <10nm ideally. Baader to a 7nm which is good value. But DSLR's even modded ones dont respond to Ha anywhere close to that of most CCD's, so your options are limited.

Even from 56N we only had one hour for narrowband useful darkness. Stick to the brightest objects. The north american nebula is a good one. maybe also the dumbell. Star clusters and planets are of course easier.

So you can do stuff, but its difficult. Good luck

paul

Thanks Paul.

So that leads me to another question:

Next year I plan to go CCD probably somthing like the Atik 314 which you probably know is 1.25" filters.

So if I went ahead and bought a Ha filter now to try with my DSLR in the summer...could I get away with using a 1.25" on a DSLR so that I don't end up with a 2" and a 1.25" in the end?....does that make any sense?? lol

I think I know the answer is no..as DSLR's have big chips and need 2"?

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael,

You could use a 2 inch Ha filter with an Atik later but there would be the hassle of it not fitting in your filter wheel. You could have s setup that went camera>filterwheel> 2 inch nosepiece>option of 2 inch filter in that. You would have to remove the camera to add or remove the Ha filter but you could mark the position carefully so as not to muck up your flats.

Olly

Hi Olly,

Thanks for that. What about just buying a 2" wheel and 2" filter set and then using some kind of adpater for the Atik? Would that work?

Just trying to future proof myself...then again I have a funney feeling that would only encourage me to go for a big chip ccd! :hello2:

Thanks,

Michael

Edited by msinclairinork

Oh, go for a big chip CCD! Get one for me while you're at it!!

Thing is, the big filters are half the cost of the big chip setup. I could run to an Atik 11000 but not that plus new wheel plus new filters (plus new computer to cope with the files.) Where does it end??

Olly

I'd get a solarscope for the summer, BTW. Very exciting.

Edited by ollypenrice

I'm taking a trip to the very north of (mainland) Scotland at the end of May. First time I've been that far north. I guess it will be no darker than a twilight sky. Is it dark enough to see aurora at that time of year (should we be lucky enough)? I'm not expecting to do any AP though.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

You should get a few hours of darkness around then, and yes the Aurora would be visable.

I remember a hole summer about 10 years ago that almost every night we had aurora! you could see it starting just as the sun set. It was a great year for them.

Hope you enjoy your trip! :hello2:

If you do decide to come across to Orkney feel free to give me a shout and I would be happy to give you the tour.

Michael

Michael

Thanks, Michael. We'll only be there for a few days but will keep fingers crossed that we might get lucky with a display. I've still never seen the aurora, even though I was born and spent first 22 years in Scotland .... though not far north.

Adrian

Michael,

if you can't get a PST this year, then I highly recommend playing with a white light filter like the Baader astrosolar film or filters. I have been using this and using Registax to stack my DSLR RAW files, which it does, but slowly. I plan on getting a webcam in a couple of weeks. Great fun and new software and processing techniques to learn in time for when you can get a solarscope. Then you can hit the ground running.

Edited by RikM