Narrowband

!st scope - help!!!

Hi all, I've inherited/purchased a Orion Optics 10" reflecting scope from a mate heading back to NZ, but all I have is the scope.

I'd been wanting to get into Astronomy for a while and have been experimenting with star trails and moon photos for a bit with my DSLR.

Anyway, I don't have any idea about what bits I need to make this think work; so can anyone recommend appropriate stuff that I will need... mount, finder, eyepieces??????

Any advice greatly appreciated.

If you want to go down the astrophotography route then get an equitorial mount, HEQ5 or EQ6.

You can add motors etc to a dobsonian mount but that makes an Alt/Az mount and it is not as well suited to astrophotography as an equitorial.

Adding a dobsonian mount then motors etc will be costly and although an EQ is not cheap you will at least get the mount that is best for astrophotography.

If you want to go down the astrophotography route then get an equitorial mount, HEQ5 or EQ6.

You can add motors etc to a dobsonian mount but that makes an Alt/Az mount and it is not as well suited to astrophotography as an equitorial.

Adding a dobsonian mount then motors etc will be costly and although an EQ is not cheap you will at least get the mount that is best for astrophotography.

Also the EQ mount can be used with other scopes in the future.

For astrophotography I'd probably go for an EQ6. The additional load capacity will help handle the OTA size and would handle an additional guide scope + imaging train (filter wheel, camera etc). It's ~40Kg will also add stability.

Depending on the weight of the OTA, you may need another counter weight (the NEQ6 SynScan comes with 2x5Kg and extender bar). The EQ6 SynScan will provide you with options to use the synscan handset or a myriad of other ways to guide (including directly via the PC).

When doing astrophotography, take the mount load capacity and halve it. Usually the capacity is quoted for visual.

Thanks. That astrophotography is my principal focus.. Not sure I can stretch the budget to an EQ6 or even an HEQ5. But I suppose it is better spend a bit extra than get **** results.

This is the side of my CG5 GT Mount. You can see various ports. left to right:

Handset

Dec cable port

Autoguide port (this is the port you need to use for guided long exposure imaging, without guiding you'll get star trails, even with very good polar alignment).

12V port

post-18809-13387754968_thumb.jpg

post-18809-133877549691_thumb.jpg

I agree with the need for a solid driven equatorial mount for astrophotography, but you might want to look before you leap so to speak. You will probably need to factor in another 5-600 squids for a guide scope, autoguider and bits.

Then there's the mount itself.

For a 10" scope the Synta/Skywatcher EQ6 is a sensible minimum, but its big, heavy and cumbersome. I THINK a Vixen SXD would do the job and its slightly less bulky, but more expensive. One of the main disadvantages to the equatorial mounts is that they are nigh-on hopless vor visual use with a Newtonian. Unlike a refractor or a Cassegrain scope, the focuser and EP are going to be up in the air and at odd angles for most observing. Unless you want to spend the night on a step ladder and fork out more dosh for rotating tube rings, I find observing this way to be a literal pain in the neck.

As a first step, it would be a good idea to buy or make a Dobsonian base or better still use a sturdy Alt/Az (up-down/round and round) mount just to get a feel for the thing and learn the sky (tedious I know :hello2: ).

Hope this helps.

LMC

This is the side of my CG5 GT Mount. You can see various ports. left to right:

Handset

Dec cable port

Autoguide port (this is the port you need to use for guided long exposure imaging, without guiding you'll get star trails, even with very good polar alignment).

12V port

Gotcha. Cool... maybe more of a long term future thing for me.

Archived