Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Final, Final Rosette (I promise!)

Uranium235

Ok, this is my last go at NGC 2246 for this year. Friday night was pretty clear so I grabbed another 2 hours of OIII in order to further reduce the noise at the centre of the nebula. The guiding was superb after reading up on some posts by Craig Stark.

Its taken me ages to decide how best to balance the colour, but I think I got there in the end :hello2:

Now I can safely consider the Rosette to be "in the bag".

NGC2246: Rosette Nebula, Bok globules

SW ED80, Atik 314L+, CG5-GT, 50mm finderguider

L(1x1200, 4x900, 25x600 Ha), (R 15x600, GB 22x600 OIII)

Thanks for looking :hello2:

attachment.php?attachmentid=53881&stc=1&d=1300617013

post-18171-133877548868_thumb.jpg

post-18171-133877548876_thumb.jpg

Now that.. is a photo!

Visually through the SDP I can see the outline of the nebula as a smudge.. I'm soon to have the bits all ready for getting some photos - I think you can guess what I'll be attempting first :hello2:

Impressive and as for the Guiding Graph - err wow were are the articles you mention I would love to get some smooth graphs like that

Regards

John Berman

No problem dude, here's where I read it:

Telescope Reviews: PHD guiding failure with SSAG Orion guider package

(about 3/4 way down the page, a big quote from CS in regard to DEC guiding)

CN FORUMS ARCHIVE Telescope Reviews: PHD Guiding problem

(various posts by Craig regarding settings for finderguiders)

Thanks for the comments :hello2: I might have another fiddle with it later using the Steve Cannistra method. Got a roast on @ the mo :hello2:

Ok, heres something a bit different.

Ive had a go at combining the colour data using a different routine called the Steve Cannistra method (many thanks to SteveL for the how-to). Although the colour has changed a bit, the contrast has increased. Its my first go at that method, so apologies if ive not quite got it right. Though it looks pretty good in this flavour :hello2:

attachment.php?attachmentid=53926&stc=1&d=1300640299

post-18171-133877549165_thumb.jpg

Just pure brilliance!

It just showes that it takes alot of dedication in this game to produce a stunning result like this. How long in total do you think you have spent on this? including processing and learning this new tutorials etc?

P.S I do prefer the first one myself.

Well done... Give your self a pat on the back for this one mate!

Michael

Just pure brilliance!

It just showes that it takes alot of dedication in this game to produce a stunning result like this. How long in total do you think you have spent on this? including processing and learning this new tutorials etc?

P.S I do prefer the first one myself.

Well done... Give your self a pat on the back for this one mate!

Michael

Thanks Michael :hello2:

I think in subs alone it took 6 hours over 3 months, as you know the weather hasnt been exactly great so ive just grabbed it when I can. As for processing, Ive had to learn more PS tricks.. but im still a bit of a duffer at that because ive only been using it for a couple of months. Creating a synth green channel in PS is a complex business when compered to Maxim (where its just a couple of clicks).... and twice as tricky when youve got an 8month old tugging on your laptop power cables, chewing your mouse and disconnecting your internet! :hello2:

SteveL is helping me out with another version becuase he's sure its still got more to give. Hopefully we will see something interesting soon, lets just let the man work his magic :hello2:

Wow! So 3 months for the data for that pannel...and how many pannels will you need for the mosiac say 4??? 3+3+3+3=12...so it will take you a year to do one image!! :hello2: :hello2:

Now that is dedicaition! ;)

On a serious note, again that is ONE outstanding image! :hello2:

Looking forward to the seeing the next target bagged!

Michael

Wow! So 3 months for the data for that pannel...and how many pannels will you need for the mosiac say 4??? 3+3+3+3=12...so it will take you a year to do one image!! :hello2: :hello2:

Now that is dedicaition! B)

On a serious note, again that is ONE outstanding image! ;)

Looking forward to the seeing the next target bagged!

Michael

I reckon it would be 4 panels with the 314L+ to get all of it.... not something i'd like to try though! Havent tried a mosaic yet, im just too lazy :hello2:

It would be easier with a faster and lower FL scope or a bigger camera - neither of which I can afford right now ;)

Not sure what the next target will be becuase times are getting ard for the 80mm frac at this time of year. Maybe the leo triplet or the Bodes. Its going to be clear tonight so I'll have a mooch on stellaruim and decide on what to go for.

I am seriously considering a 314L as the next big upgrade. I love the fact it has such low noise levels and high res! But as you say with the ED80 you are limited with the FOV.

Would it be an option to put it on say a 20mm lens or somthing similar to open up some choices?

Thanks,

Michael

I am seriously considering a 314L as the next big upgrade. I love the fact it has such low noise levels and high res! But as you say with the ED80 you are limited with the FOV.

Would it be an option to put it on say a 20mm lens or somthing similar to open up some choices?

Thanks,

Michael

Well, I am thinking of getting a focal reducer/flattener at the end of the month. That will give me a bit more speed and FOV, but at the cost of reduced resolution (maybe not ideal for galaxy hunting).

Got to admit though, the 314L+ has fantastically low noise levels. Come the summer time, I think the setpoint cooling will be worth its weight in gold. And any hot pixels are easily removed via software.

I have researched putting a lens on it, but i'd probably want it to be about 200mm - and fast 200mm lenses are a bit expensive... almost as expensive as a new scope :hello2:

Wish I had an f5 frac though, I could have done this in half the time!

Good points and info, cheers.

yea I was seeing a canon EF 200mm lens for £500 second hand..not cheap but worth it all the same at around F2.somthing! mmmmmm lol

I didn't know you would loose resaloution when putting on a focal reducer? Interesting.

Thanks,

Michael

Wow that is stunning, the depth and detail is simply amazing. The 'Leaping Puma Neb' is very obvious, thanks to another thread I can now see this dark neb in there....

You guide graph is pretty impresive too.....

Thanks for sharing.

Gary

Archived