SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another colour saturn from 7th march

neil phillips

Another rrgb, from 7th march, ive been meaning to do. its weird because the image was very sharp on screen, but turbulance came over about 10 mins before, otherwise it would have been better still. but its the only night so far the rgbs are at least a little better than what ive got before in this year or since. Tried to bring the colours out as best i could without over doing it. not sure ive achieved that, but the red ring has come out. 00:1.33 UT

5541454692_0661aff965_o.png

aint it just the way Clayton. but its those observations that give me belief, that if i get lucky this year. i could get a result that will make a mockery of 34 degrees uk skys. its not helping im in the throws of drastic cell changes, think i need to get my laser back in the middle of my centre sticker, despite visually collimation looking ok. looking at my avis, they seem to have dropped quality just bit. not a lot. mostly consistency. sometimes its hard to tell between equipment effects and seeing effects though.

That is certainly a top standard image, I know you don't need processing advice but that storm needs to take centre stage, with a bit more noise perhaps but shape and edges are stronger. PS high pass really lifts storm and makes it a touch brighter? Love the way storm stretches fully around disc like that.

John.

post-15219-13387754882_thumb.png

Thanks for the comments everyone

Hi John when i had a trial version of PS, i did use that function a lot, as i remember i liked it. other detail extracting sharpening tools im using, freeware, are if used too much somewhat harsh. so i tend to have a eye on noise as much detail. But that filter has lifted the detail. I really need to get that program. it would likely be better if it was used as part of a processing routine, rather than a example ( you know what i mean ) done on a tiff before rotation for example.

Still noise doesnt actually look too bad, i can see it, but rotation could be causing some of it, hence my comments. Ok im convinced. Now i know why i liked using that in the past. it is very powerful in sharpening and tightening subtle detail. What Hi pass settings are you using ? i seem to remember, there was different types, overlay was one i think i remember. I cant remember which one i prefered though, but i know i did prefer a particular type ? Thanks for sharing processing tips

Yes Neil should have given details as you like the nuts and bolts. I used layer Overlay and 2.9 pix radius, then using layer 'hide all' mask to hide noise created then use brush over storm and gaussian blur at 4.7 pix radius to blend and opacity slider to taste - I left it at 100%. Reduce Noise is also great as it allows to preserve details and sharpen details if I have gone a little too far a touch of this can be just right to finish without wiping out storm edges but lessening that faint noise.

John.

Thanks James (and Stuart ) if only i could get colour ones more often.

Interesting routine that John, clearly its working, i did err on the side of laid back, with the sharpening. But i prefer yours. much more detail. and remarkably very little noise. if i can get a trial version of this, ill wait untill that best colour shot is achieved. ( hope i havent got it yet ) then use it. Thanks for the info. clearly i need this program for jupiter in the summer. but i bet it cost a packet ?

Great image, interesting discussion regarding using layers to bring out the detail in the storm. This is something I have struggled to do in my images posted today.

There are no end of things to experiment with in this type of imaging!

Well done

regards

Peter

Archived