Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar viewing with my Skywatcher 130p

Okay so I'd like to have a peek at the sun with all this activity that's going on at the mo.

What are peoples best suggestions?

1-Make my own filter with solar film? If so, what's the best stuff to buy to ensure I don't blind myself?

2- buy a ready made filter. If so which?

3-forget it with my scope ?

I know all about removing the finder etc. I have read a bit around the subject. Just slightly nervous if buying the wrong equipment

Yes, I have pretty much the same scope as you and am interested in viewing the sun. I think the baader solar film is recomended but I am not sure what the best option is. Also, with the baader solar film you can make seperate filters for your bino's and a camera.

Pretty sure the Baader film is supposed to be safe. Double sided so a pin hole on one side has a very slim chance of corresponding to one on the other.

Looks like the cheapest option.

Not sure what you see. I think you need expensive filers to see solar flares and the like.

Both my scopes have ready made filters, Baader film. Regarding taking the finder off, mine have caps so not a problem but I do actually use the main finder. I place a paper shield to the rear of the finder and this helps me guide the scope onto the sun, I expect someone will tut tut this but my finder is high enough not to be able to see through it accidently so care is needed there.

Jim

How about using projection? cover up the finder so it doesn't concentrate he sun. Use a flat piece of white card and a low power eyepiece. Attach the card to the end of the counter weight with it facing the eyepiece, then use the focusser to focus the image onto the card. Remember concentrating the sun through a telescope can be dangerous, try not to stick your body parts between the focusser and the card.

I have the 150P and use the Baader solar film. I made a couple of filters with 70mm off-axis cutouts. Seems to work okay. I take the finder off and line it up using the scope shadow.

post-18573-133877548879_thumb.jpg

I see on RikMcRae's picture that he's only got a about 1/4 of his scope covered with the baader film. Is this because the image is too bright? Is there any image degradation doing this?

The image isn't too bright, but with 70mm there is enough to get a reasonable view.

This was taken with a DSLR yesterday through this scope. I coloured it yellow in Photoshop. With just the Baader film it looks white, with a hint of pink :hello2:

post-18573-133877549087_thumb.jpg

Archived