Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help !! i can't get it to work

Hi all , i have got a synscan goto and i am trying in vain to update it but my computer and the handset for the synscan cannot seem to find each other .I bought a cable to connect the rs232 to a usb but it seems they cannot find each other and i am not very good on computers really .

I downloaded all the updates and the thing to update it and the thing to help find the handset when you plug into the computer but it isn't working

I am on windows vista if that makes any difference :)

Earl my handset is version 3.03 which i think is the oldest one because i downloaded 05 and 07

I would be happy just to get the lap top and handset to recognise each other then i could use stellarium

Not too sure what it's called but it looks like a phone plug and it is the one that came with the scope

i'm starting to think it may be the cable i bought but it seems to fit together ok and it wasn't a cheapy one at £12 odd

I just cannot understand why they supply it with a serial cable when most pc's are lap tops these days and i don't know any that have the serial connection

Serial is the standard with astro gear as its far more reliable that USB, although higher bandwidth devices need USB.

there are two sockets on the handset, one is for the cable to the mount the other is for the link lead, are you pluging the PSI into the handset also?

It might be the chipset in the USB to serial converter. Some are not up to the task of communicating with the Synta handsets. The usual advice is to download the latest drivers from the converter's web site. Years ago, the Prolific based converters seemed to do OK, but with Windows Vista and 7, there have been many reports of inability to connect with Prolifc chips.

Well after packing it all back up a very small disc fell out of the packaging so i have tried to install what is on it but it will not run ,just comes up with a list of contents and makes no attempt to install whats on it

Not sure now Brantuk ,i have deleted it all and i will take the cable back .I might even take my lap top and the synscan handset and see if they can get any joy in the shop

Archived