SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

HEADS UP! Awesome proms on sun this morning

Tim

Have to say, that was (is) just awesome, a large bulge bubbling up since this morning has now blasted way out from the disc forming a huge looping arm around a 3rd of the diameter of the sun in length, maybe more.

Im at work Ron, cant do pics :)

If you have a PST though anybody, make sure to look way out from the disc, the filaments are quite a distance from it now!

Very hasty webcam captures with a similarly hasty stack :(

It's been quite a show this morning... I saw that one starting to build at about 08:30, and then in the time I was looking at it again around 11:30 it was really kicking in to gear. Very rapid changes! :)

Brilliant show on the Sun this morning, the main prominence was the most active I've seen for some time, almost real time changes as you looked, several bright knots of material that ebbed and flowed. 80mm/PST mod x50 and x90.

Something like this Ron?

[ATTACH]53775[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]53774[/ATTACH]

Please excuse the naffness, rush job and all. Also I don't really know what I'm doing :)

Pictures are fine Sam, that it an enormous event. I hope it don't shoot a one that size towards earth. Could blow a few transistors :(.

I will check the SOHO site for vids.

Ron.

Using Sam's image and very roughly scaling it to 1.4M km it looks like it shoots out around 300,000KM (186,411 Miles).

The Earth is nearly 13,000KM across (8,000 Miles).

So continuing my super rough numbers...that images shows and ejection over 23 times the Earth's diameter!

I love the power of our Sun. So envious of you guys observing :)

I think so, I scanned around the disk to see what else was going on, but that thing was a monster... I don't really have the capturing skills to do it justice, through the EP is was magnificent, so much detail in the different layers swirling about.

My similarly rough calculations put it at about 209,777KM Give or take :)

When I last checked there was still quite a few proms about, and some of them were pretty good in their own right. I assume the PST inverts the image, so I guess that puts them on the Northern edge.

Archived