1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Skymax 180 First (moon)light

AndyUK

I guess there'll be quite a few moon images tonight (:(), but this was a first for me with the Skymax 180. Not ideal conditions as the moon was skimming across the top of the roof, so I had a LOT of shimmer but I simply had to try and get something on the laptop...

So here are my first two, the closeup with a phillips 880/flashed 900 (WX Astrocapture, 300/1000 frames @ 10fps, 1/250, stacked in AVIStack 2) and the other a DSLR prime focus image (well, sort of as I had to attach it to the diagonal - I need an extension tube - 1/100, f15 @ ISO800). I realised (too late) that I missed an opportunity to make a DSLR mosaic - Unfortunately the moon is now in "the streetlight zone", but never mind... :)

(This is the first "cat" I've owned and I was amazed at how much darker the image was and how much more difficult it is to focus - I tried capturing Saturn with the webcam, but my focus was way out :p. More practice required...)

post-18819-133877548155_thumb.jpg

post-18819-133877548162_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys - I'm now trying to work out which crater that is (:p) so I can get a rough idea of how many km's I'm looking at... I've just had a scan right the way around a lunar map and still can't find it :) - Zucchius came close, but I know that's not it...

I was amazed that even with a 32mm eyepiece the moon was too big to fit in the FOV, but f15 is certainly going to take a bit of getting used to - Star aligning at dusk definitely wasn't as easy as at f5-6! It's certainly given me a lot more respect for the guys who get their images of Saturn / Jupiter @ f30 (or higher :(), and I'm currently a little bemused how anyone could see anything but the brightest DSO's with one of these - I'd read that cool down was a few hours, but 5 hrs should be enough (shouldn't it?)

Nice shots Andy. The cooldown issue is overstated by some people IMHO. Don't worry about seeing DSOs at f15, the human eye doesn't work like a camera, as long as you don't overdo the magnification then the scope does a fine job on DSOs.

Cheers both - I'm pretty sure that the scope would have cooled down in 5 hrs (probably less) so I don't think my problem was that...

The moon was very easy to focus with x10 liveview but I'm going to have to retry Saturn, although I think I may need to try it away from the back garden - As I noted, it (and the moon) skims across the top of my house... The turbulence was amazing when my daughter switched the shower on and the gas flue started blowing!

I was considering getting a TV 3x barlow (whilst they're 20% off for the next 4 weeks), but I think I've changed my mind now. Although I know I can easily try it, I have a Bahtinov mask for my MN190... Is there any chance that might work with the Mak 180 :hello2:. If so, I'm wondering about setting up the mount with a dual mount (ST102 on the other side), get the 2 OTA's aligned, slew to a star, focus the 180 with the mask and then slew back to Saturn... (and maybe I could then set up the Synguider on Saturn to lock it down even further?)

(Or am I being stupid here?)