Narrowband

Sometime's I think it's just not meant to be......the 26mm Nagler saga continues.

Moonshane

It's disturbing to read this thread re quality control and maybe things are slipping. But I can't agree that the ultra wide EPs are a gimmick. I have just bought a 26 Nagler for the Dob. It gives ma a degree field - important on things like the Veil, M42, M31 etc and it gives it with an exit pupil that will go down a human eye. The exit pupil and extended time between nudges are very important, I would say. I have tried all sorts of visiting EPs in this and other scopes and I'm going to say that without doubt I like TV the most. I don't buy them for the name or the reputation but because I really do like them. I have also found TV incredibly helpful on the phone once, when I needed to carry out a repair. I rang the states and straight away had an optician spending quite a time advising me.

Olly

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive me Olly I may have came across wrong! I agree ultra wide FOV EP's do offer substantial advantage in certain telescopes. I was merely suggesting that when TV advertise there range it helps to offer the hook to the punter of a 82-100' FOV. It's the big "sell" that allows a company to almost demand a higher price from it's customers. "Every EP is sent back to the US for individual inspection" is telling the potential buyers what they want to hear. Despite this very good advertising the thread has shown that even though we are but a handful of people poor quality TV's are out there. Shane was correct in returning the EP if he isn't 100% satisfied and I think it is wrong he has had to go in to further expense to do so. If the advertising is correct then his and my EP should have arrived in immaculate condition. OK mine was a quick fix but needless to say I don't expect to pay out £££'s only to have to start giving the lens a clean the moment I get it. If what John said is accurate then instead of TV doing as they are advertising in the first place we are the ones footing the bill for their rejects. Now that's what I call good advertising when they get the punter thinking that is OK.

.... If what John said is accurate then instead of TV doing as they are advertising in the first place we are the ones footing the bill for their rejects. Now that's what I call good advertising when they get the punter thinking that is OK.

I don't think Tele Vue are to blame here. I think their dealers should replace any items which have a genuine issue promptly and without cost to their customers.

My guess is that Al and David Nagler would be disappointed to think that their UK dealers did not offer this ;)

I believe this is the sort of service that First Light Optics give so it should be possible for others to follow suit I would have thought :hello2:

I'm with Olly here on Tele Vue products overall. They are the best that I have used in 30+ years in the hobby and I've tried loads of others, believe me :hello2:

It's taken 30 years for others to produce eyepieces that get close the Nagler's for ultra-widefield peformance and even now they are only exceeded by Tele Vue's own Ethos, IMHO :hello2:

cheers guys.

I am definitely unaffected in my love of all things TV. if I'd have not noticed this (extremely minor it has to be said) blemish then I am sure I'd have never looked back. as I say, If I'd have bought this used then I'd have accepted it. the other issue is I always think of resale potential (even though this will be prised from my cold dead hand) and I am the sort who'd have to mention this blemish to a buyer. this would mean that it's me again suffering any loss due to it.

hopefully the supplier will replace it and refund my postage costs and in turn get a replacement plus costs from TV. in truth even with the £8.65, the total cost is still the lowest I could find.

I personally noticed for me my nags are more fussy in a slow scope. It was brought to my attention it may be exit pupil I'm struggling with so maybe Panoptics are easier to use? They do tend to have longer eye relief over the nags so maybe thats it? I have to say I don't think it would matter what you put a 22T4 in, it would work superbly due to the large lens 19 ER and the middle of the road FL.

I told you.........good news, replacement issued to me and dispatched.....return postage refunded............... bad news this time, they posted to my home address not my work address so missed FedEx. can collect tomorrow though from Manchester so not the end of the world and will have for tomorrow night at least.

Glad you sorted this Shane I know you will enjoy this EP. Last night I used the 26mm Nagler to go looking for Herschel 400 DSOs and viewed 10 'new ones' in Leo and especially Leo Minor.

I still find that starting with the 26mm Nagler it is so convenient and then go straight to the 13mm Ethos. Well it worked last night.

Mark

cheers Mark

You're not after a replacement 22mm Panoptic are you?:D

But seriously folks, I agree that this is likely to be the way it will go (if and when I get it) and the 35mm Panoptic will be a casualty - have to make a space in my eyepiece case somewhere! However, I really don't see me getting rid of of the 22mm Panoptic. Maybe I'll change my mind after a while with the 26mm though. One reason is that it frames the full moon perfectly in both my 1600mm scopes although maybe the 26mm Nagler will too.

I think their dealers should replace any items which have a genuine issue promptly and without cost to their customers.

More importantly it is the law that there is no cost to the customer. From the distance selling regulation advice to dealers: "If the goods are faulty or do not comply with the contract, you will have to pay for their return whatever the circumstances."

hi all

well I have it and it's perfect! in case you hadn't guessed the vendor was Telescope House and to be fair to them they have dealt with this very well in the end. they have refunded my return postage, agreed there was a fault and sent me a perfect replacement within a week so very good service all round.

this whole episode has in no way dented my love of all things black and green and I'll certainly be using TH again without any concerns.

I'll write a review of the EP when I get a chance to use it - hopefully this weekend.

Maybe I will own a 26mm Nagler soon - in fact I do!

in case you hadn't guessed the vendor was Telescope House and to be fair to them they have dealt with this very well in the end. they have refunded my return postage

Oh, I've been through something similar with them before.

The guys on the phone don't seem clear what the rules on postage charges are, but the admin department folks who actually handle the returns know what they're doing, so in practice - at least in my experience - things work out fine with Telescope House.

cheers all

I reckon it will be a beaut and it went straight in to the shape made in my case by the 35mm Pan. I'll compare these over the next couple of sessions at home and then at SGL6 and then do a proper review but I still think the 35mm will go.

Archived