Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baker Street Irregular Astronomers, anybody on here...

I was wondering whether any "regular" of the Baker Street Irregular Astronomers would happen to be a Stargazer?

I was thinking to pop down to Regents Park Wednesday 30th March for the monthly lets_look_at_the_Sky_together, but I am a little shy and definitely not comfortable walking alone in the park at night...

(yeah I know, being scared in the dark is a bit ridiculous when you have a fascination for the sky :) )

I have never been as I usually work on Wednesdays and do not have the energy to go home and get any equipment (even if only binoculars) and go back in to central London. However, I am on holiday next week and may well go, as I like looking at other people's telescopes and am curious what can be seen from the centre of London!

I would reckon Regent's Park should be pretty safe, and in any case I occasionally go to a local empty field next to the golf club near where I live in the middle of the night alone! (My wife thinks I am barking mad!)

If I was a woman I think I might be more cautious. My main worry is about getting lost and wandering around Regent's Park unable to find anyone.

I went to an astronomy public viewing evening at Ruslip Lido, got there late and ended up walking the whole way round the Lido in the dark before I found anyone!

I think you would be fine if you got there early, preferably while it was still twilight!

Hello Celinibellini

The park is very safe. We have a police presence at all times (committee member Carl is a Parks Police officer and is always on hand) and if you use the nearest gate - Monkey Gate next to London Zoo - there are floor lights that lead you all the way to the Hub. See http://www.bakerstreetastro.org.uk/location/ for a map.

After having Sir Patrick and the team film April's Sky at Night from a BSIA meeting on Monday we expect it to be even busier than usual, which means more scopes and a better atmosphere. Of course, we always say that if it's cloudy we'll be going ahead in the hope of a break in the clouds but if it's raining, it's off. Although we put up-to-date announcements on Facebook and Twitter, it's best to judge this for yourself as your about to set off.

Don't worry about being shy though. Come and find me (I'll be in a white BSIA T-shirt) and we'll ease you in gently. We have such a diverse range of friendly members that it's impossible not to make tons of like-minded friends there.

We're all about bringing free amateur astronomy to as many people as possible and encouraging those that have never looked through a telescope to do so.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Thanks for posting this, I'll not make this Wednesday but I was entirely unaware of any opportunities to get out in London. I'm down there 2/3 days a week at the moment and always looking for reasons to get out of the hotel. The regular office staff find it hard to cope with me travelling 300 miles and then going out to meet people and do stuff every night (music, climbing and now I can add stars :D

cheers

Rob

• 4 years later...

Thread revival?

I see there is a meeting on 23 July15 unless its raining?

Prior to any potential aperture upgrade, it would be a good excuse for me to try and visit if some kind soul would let me look through their 10" or 12" Dobsonian.

........was informed by staff at  the Widescreen centre that the meeting  re-scheduled for  for 23rd July may be cancelled due to the  forecast weather?

On the night, the sky was  so overcast that  you could hear, but not see the air traffic over Lambeth, so impossible for astronomy,  so I never made the trip over to Regents park, despite the  WS website still informing the meeting was going ahead.....maybe next time?

Would have been good to see some bigger scopes, and to what they can achieve from within  a park in London. You really must try before you buy!

Archived