Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Deep sky viewing

I know an 8" Dob is recommended for DSO's but, can other types show similar levels/ details as the dobs? (Without going crazy on prces).

I've been looking at Maks - around 5" but could go up 6 if DSO will give some 'detail' - maybe even upto 8" but that would be pushing the budget somewhat.

I suppose reflectors are out due cost and size limitations - APO's are a bit ££££

I know the phrase "Aperture Rules" sounds like a cliche but, where viewing deep sky objects is concerned, there is no substitute for it. An 8" scope collects 77% more light than a 6".

Hi Dave

The 8" will be a massive leap forward from your current set up, there's no doubt about that - your scope has 20" square of mirror, the 8" will have around 50" square. My view is based on the fact that for the price of an 8" (around £250 new) it's not ridiculously expensive and will hold off aperture fever for long enough to help you decide whether or not the hobby is for you longer term.

The 130mm scope is also a good starter scope but I generally feel people often quickly wish they'd bought something a little larger and then have to upgrade.

I didn't mean in any way to 'dis' (as my daughters might say) your scope.

Fortunately there are "good starter scopes" for a range of budgets.

My starter scope was a 2.4" refractor and that showed me lots - a 5" newtonian was just a dream back then ......

Dobs/newtonians are excellent for DSO viewing and not just because of their price. Many DSO's are big and an F5 Dob will provide you with a larger field of view when compared to an F10 Mak. The larger field of view really helps for low power viewing many DSO's just look better when framed by a good chunk of dark sky.

"Dis"?! Please elucidate that one-love to keep up with language development! I am not at all offended by the definition of starter scope,by the way-I just wanted a decent squint at the moon before I become stardust,and lo! I find I want to see more. As far as I am concerned,I am the starter,not the scope.

Archived