Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mercury and Jupiter.

Telescope40

Hi. My Western horizon cleared nicely about 6 pm. Got a good view of both planets with my binos. Thought I got Mercury last year but I wasnt convinced. I can it tick "off" the list now. Jupiter helped nicely to guide the way .

Chuffed John

Took a look at Jupiter and Mercury myself this evening. Was set up and ready to go just after 7. Perhaps I could have picked up Mercury earlier - anyway no big deal. Jupiter was already diving into the thick cut marmalade horizon. Mercury looked brilliant above the grog in the graded blue sky. I reckon I could just about tell it's phase although to be honest there was so much atmospheric refraction it wasn't absolutely clear. It was only afterwards I wondered if I had stuck in my OIII filter would the shape have been more obvious? Not a trick that would work in smaller scopes but I think it might work with a 12". My diary is a bit busy over the next few days so I don't think I'm going to get another look at Mercury this apparition.

I have to confess I was looking at Mercury through my new 20/20 5mm Nagler. Man do I have a problem. No way do I require yet another planetary eyepiece and yet I don't want to let any of them go. The eye relief is a bit too tight to be comfortable but then the field of view is so luxurious compared to a radian. It's really nice not to have to reposition the scope so often. I found it was best to hold my eye fractionally back from seeing the whole field of view and then shift my head slightly as the planet drifted across the field. I can see myself being a bit selective about when I offer people a view through the nagler though because it is going to be a bit of a magnet for eyelash grease. Anyway I'm pretty happy with the eyepiece and can see it becoming my planetary eyepiece of choice unless the atmosphere is really boiling.

As luck would have it it was clear last night and I was free so I got another view of Mercury at sunset. I think the seeing was worse than last time I was out but I found the phase more obvious, perhaps because Mercury was slightly higher in the sky. Using the OIII filter did help a bit, although it made the image a bit dark. I'm sure a broader band filter would have helped but frankly how often am I going to be viewing planets near the horizon?

Mercury is a hard one to capture but when you do,... it's quite an accomplishment. I remember seeing for the first time a couple of years ago. Excited, I called out for my husband to come and see it. "That little dot in the sky?" he said unimpressed. Oh well,.. I guess I'm the only one that becomes excited at dots at the fall of darkness.

Isabelle

Now that mercury has passed max elongation, the phase will become even more defined, this will be accompanied by an increase in brightness too I think, due to it becoming closer to us.

Hopefully I'll not be too tired to sit out this evening, I missed the last two, which were looking good.

Archived