SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Oxy Bottle Pier

Freff

I have been offered an old empty Oxy bottle that has been hanging about in a friends garden for years. This bottle is the big 5" type used in garages for welding.

It was suggested that the adapter on the top be removed, filled with water a few times just to make sure there is nothing in there.

The two ends then cut off with a Stihl to the required lenght. Then two plates welded to each end to suit design. Hopefully bolted down to an existing 3x3 concrete plug.

I would have thought that this type thing would be ideal for a pier, being about 10" dia and weighing a ton.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Would certainly make a big heavy tube ....my only other thought is that these things remain the property of the supplier, they are on hire when in your posession. :)

I wondered about that. I was informed that the suppliers, Air Products were contacted on at least 3 occasions to collect it but never did. That was about 7 years ago. Recorded letters were kept as proof.

It was actually found on waste ground just behind neighbours property when he extended.

The owner (Air Products) won't want it. He would have to subject it to pressure & visual tests before putting it into service. The valve would also need full strip and on a cylinder of this age, may be obsolete. Not worth the effort on an old cylinder that has been 'abused'.

Now a word of WARNING WARNING. Cylinder valves can be very good at sealing. You put pressure in a cylinder, and it stays there for years. So you open the valve and nothing happens. Is the cylinder empty? Is the valve stuck? Nasty story of someone with a dive cylinder. He made just this mistake. Took a big wrench to remove the valve. Once there was little thread left, the valve left the cylinder. Straight through this guy's leg and through a breeze block wall.

You must ensure the cylinder is at atmospheric pressure. That is the valve opens correctly. Try pushing air in from a car type compressor, then see if you can let it out when you want.

Next warning. If it is oxygen at atmospheric pressure, it is still dangerous. Standard chemistry lab test for oxygen is to relight a glowing splint. If you are drilling, grinding, etc, the sparks will burn very well. Having got the cylinder to atmospheric pressure and removed the valve, blow air into it from a tyre inflator for a minute or two using a thin hose. This will ensure you have a 'normal' nitrogen/oxygen mix in the cylinder.

After all of this, treat it just like any other lump of steel. An excellent pier.

You might want to fill it with sand or something else to damp ringing.

Hope this helps.

David.

e

The owner (Air Products) won't want it. He would have to subject it to pressure & visual tests before putting it into service. The valve would also need full strip and on a cylinder of this age, may be obsolete. Not worth the effort on an old cylinder that has been 'abused'.

Now a word of WARNING WARNING. Cylinder valves can be very good at sealing. You put pressure in a cylinder, and it stays there for years. So you open the valve and nothing happens. Is the cylinder empty? Is the valve stuck? Nasty story of someone with a dive cylinder. He made just this mistake. Took a big wrench to remove the valve. Once there was little thread left, the valve left the cylinder. Straight through this guy's leg and through a breeze block wall................

Hope this helps.

David.

e

Thanks David

After reading that my sphincter has been puckered for the past hour. I hate to think what's going to happen when it relaxes. :):eek:

I think I'll contact Air Product and warn them with the Environmental Agency, perhaps that will shake them into moving it.

Thanks for all your replies.

Maybe you can have it opened by a company who have expertise with these things. Once the pressure is out, it's just a harmless piece of metal that you can convert into a nice pier.

Though it might be cheaper to just find a different piece of pipe...

If in doubt, go to a local dive shop. They are familiar with handling cylinders, removing valves, etc. To ensure your (time expired) cylinder cannot be refilled, they may want to do something drastic to it. Like drill a hole somewhere. But that is not a problem for you.

Last time I took a dive cylinder for test, they warned me that if it failed, they would saw it in half, no negotiation on this one! But I guess most will be happy with a hole or two.

This is not a divers cylinder. This is a 300lb 5' welders oxy bottle.:p About the size of the things they used for dam busting in WW2.:D

Not a problem. A dive centre knows how to handle cylinders up to 300 bar. It is the same technology. but a bit bigger. If you know how a 114mm newt works, you know how a 250mm newt works, if you get my drift.

Not a problem. A dive centre knows how to handle cylinders up to 300 bar. It is the same technology. but a bit bigger. If you know how a 114mm newt works, you know how a 250mm newt works, if you get my drift.

Hope you don't think I was being cynical. I was mindful of the weight dragging this thing to a dive centre, and if they would touch a bottle technically still belonging to Air Products.:D

• 6 years later...

I hope Freff   survived so that he can finish off the tale of the Oxy. cylinder pier.

I have only just found this topic, and would like to add that if anyone should be crazy enough to contemplate using an acetylene welding bottle remember,  it only takes 2% acetylene in air to make an explosive mixture.

Definitely a fair old chance of         "Good night Vienna."  :angel7:

Good warning from Merkhet.

I seem to remember something from school chemistry lessons about the acetylene being dissolved in acetone.

If so, that would provide Mrs Freff and all her friends  with a lifetime supply of nail polish remover!

Nice to see you are still in the land of the living Freff  .

Quite envious of your set up.

I made a similar pier many years ago, but as there was no space for an observatory in the garden at the time so it is mounted in the garden path.  

The concrete block and base were  cast and set in a deep hole in the garden path.    The bolts for the base are about eight inches below ground level.  When the pier is not required for a while , it is unbolted and removed and a  12" round, aluminium drain cover  fits in place over the hole.

I think an observatory is long overdue.

Yes I'm still about. 

The pier and observatory are still going great, not a single issue since the build 6 yrs ago.

I will have to post some pictures how it looks now.

Good idea with the path. I have seen many pier fixings disguised by sundials, birdbaths etc. 

One favorite is the lifting of a patio stone to reveal four 5/8" studs ready to bolt on a pier. 

Archived