Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommend a good laser?

Hi All,

Shortly after buying my first scope, i burst a disc in my back :). Having a Newt, I have manged to contort into some interesting positions viewing, altough i have recently home made some Wilson (Wilcox?) rings to allow easier viewing. Wondering if using a laser could further ease my poor back by avoiding crouching etc through viewfinder. Can anyone suggest how much i need to spend to get a good laser and where might i find one? I understand you can get cheap and nasty ones that don't 'do what it says on the tin'. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bart

Hi Bart

I've used the Baader laser collimator for a few years now and never had any problems. Here's their latest model:

Collimation - Baader Laser Collimator

It's really easy to use. I've double checked the alignment accuracy with a Cheshire and it's been spot on each time. There are some things to remember like racking the focuser all the way in and making sure the lasers not moving around while collimating - but that's all in the instructions.

Great alternative to Cheshire collimation.

David

I use one to aid http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/127029-laser-polar-alignment.html and it's very effective. But itr's only on for a few seconds, and removed after aligning.

You want it in place of a finder scope which is ok in theory but swinging a scope around with a laser beam whipping about is going to potentially get you into trouble with the authorities should it intercept a plane or police heli.:)

Besides that, lazers are almost useless when cold.

Bart,

I use one on my 250mm newt for the very same reasons as yours. I only switch it on for a few seconds at a time via the remote cable

They are very poor in the cold.

Acme

Hi David,

Thanks for replying. What i actually meant was a laser as a finder as opposed to a collimator. Thanks a million though.

Bart

Sorry about that Bart - I see what you mean now - I used a laser finder for a bit until it stopped working for some reason and was never that impressed with it so haven't replaced it.

David

Archived