Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Terminator on Apennines

Albireo380

I got out with the scope tonight and went to Mugdock Country Park, about 10 miles north of Glasgow. The terminator was slightly to the west of the Apennines and Archimedes. The low angle of the sunlight gave huge long shadows inside the crater, which shortened over my 2 hours viewing - they gave a great depiction of the jagged edge of the crater rim - not something you notice when the sun is higher.

The Apennine chain stood out in stark relief, with Mount Bradley dominating the skyline. The lower slopes to the south looked really rugged and granular - reminding me of the Cuillins on Skye - seemed to be the same rough, almost grainy type of rock. Of course, this was probably an illusion, the granular effect I was seeing on the lunar Apennines was about a mile or two on a side - a bit bigger than on the Cuillin.

I also swept down by the Mare Vaporum and both Rima Hyginus and Rima Ariadaeus were very prominent.

Despite the carp weather we have been having lately, tonight seemed surprisingly good - I was seing craters only about 3 miles across - and easily too - not something very common in the usual driech Glasgow weather.

Altogether a great observing session - doesn't a good session just calm you down and leave you feeling happy and relaxed (?). All is well with the World, God is in his Heaven and the skies were clear tonight - what more could one ask.

I hope all you guys get some good observing / imaging over the weekend

Tom

Archived