SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

oooh she looks a beauty

just taken delivery of my new scope(sw 10" flextube auto dob) she's all set up collimated and ready to go...roll in the manchester cloud(sorry m/cr stargazers)

ive already bought a moon filter and a shroud 4 the scope,but could somebody please tell me if these next two pieces of kit i'm thinking of buying r ok,or is there better 4 the money.

celestron ultima 2xbarlow(also heard the tal 2x is a good barlow)

baader 0III filter?

aperture fevers over,accessory fever starts....love it

cheers

dave

A good barlow is nice - especially when you begin. Just make sure you don't overlap focal lengths.... for instance a 15mm and a 32mm and a 2x barlow doesn't make a lot of sense! ;)

Dunno if I'd go for the OIII filter just yet. Is this your first scope? Or is it an upgrade. You said your scope is a 10" autoscope - I'm not in the UK, but I'm assuming that this scope has a computerized system on it to help you point the scope. If you are a beginner - you will find that you have plenty to do learning to use your new scope and the new computer that comes with it. These things offer great promise, but they take a bit of practice to set up and align properly so that you get proper pointing information and accurately capture targets you want. Learn to find and recognize constellations, then the deep sky treasures that lie within each one. Once you know what your scope can do on its own, so to speak, it may be time to consider adding the OIII filter.

Observing is a physical skill, not just a mechanical art. Like playing the piano - you get better at it as you practice and master the fundamentals. :p My general rule of thumb is - Add complexity only after you have achieved mastery of what you already have.

Still, if your itchy for another bit of kit (who isn't!), I would consider a nice low-power, wide angle eyepiece. Something like a 32 or 40mm - maybe in a 2" format. (You big dob has a 2"/1.25" combo focuser, yes?) Most scopes come with a descent 25mm and 10mm EP, but if you want deep sky thrills, there is nothing like a big porthole of an eyepiece to give you a wonderful wide angle view - remember that a lot of deep sky stuff is quite large - many scopes cannot fully appreciate things like the Pleiades or the Andromeda galaxy because you cannot see all of it in one go. Your big dob with a nice wide angle / low power EP will be a stunner on things like these. :)

I hope that helps! :(

Dan

Almost forgot!

Post a photo or two of your new beauty, eh? Nothing like telling your mates how "beautiful she is!!!" without a photo! How on Earth are you to get the proper drooling response you deserve? :)

Dan

Ad Astra - this model is an auto-tracking, not a goto scope

tipftop - got one of these myself. I'd go for a power tank / leisure battery / jump starter as the next accessory, then as Ad Astra suggests a nice wide angled 30mm or over eyepiece

I second that, a nice 32mm eyepiece will show you what Dobs were made for.

Ed

thanx 4 your replies and advise

regarding ep's,what 32mm should i think of getting,as i've read on SGL that this type of scope really needs decent ep's,if i drop the idea of a filter it would give me £150 to spend on a EP. any help much appreciated.

My head says......If you use the scope powered a lot you will be crying out for a powertank or mains power supply. Replacing all those D cells costs an arm and a leg.

Lots of options inc the "official" powertank type supplies, mains to 12v adapters and cheap jump start type equipment from Maplins e.t.c.

I use the Maplins option at the minute 17ah battery in a box and I paid £25, now £39 but still better than the £100+ for a powertank.

My heart says blow the cash on Baader 31mm aspheric or other lovely shiny EP!!

just taken delivery of my new scope(sw 10" flextube auto dob) she's all set up collimated and ready to go...roll in the manchester cloud(sorry m/cr stargazers)

ive already bought a moon filter and a shroud 4 the scope,but could somebody please tell me if these next two pieces of kit i'm thinking of buying r ok,or is there better 4 the money.

celestron ultima 2xbarlow(also heard the tal 2x is a good barlow)

baader 0III filter?

aperture fevers over,accessory fever starts....love it

cheers

dave

Hi Dave

Congrats on a Nice scope mate, as a fellow Manc, i would get an LP filter ,gets rid of a lot of that orange city center light we get, i got myself a 2inch LP filter, well worth the money.

Simon

I agree on the powertank but would also suggest a Telrad - will make aligning your scope a lot easier.

If you wanted a narrowband filter, I have both UHC and O111 2" filters from Castell. They really are excellent VFM.

Other Contrast & Deepsky Filters : 365Astronomy: Discovery for every day!

I'd hold off on other eyepieces until you have a good idea of what works best. If you are in Manchester and light pollution is as bad as here then a 32mm eyepiece might give too washed out a sky. The 25mm with the scope will be a good one to use I think. I have just bought a 26mm wide field to replace the 35mm I currently have for this reason.

Here are a couple. One is a bit cheaper than the other one, both excellent eyepieces which will work nicely in your F5 'scope.

Skywatcher - Skywatcher PanaView 2" eyepieces

Skywatcher - Skywatcher Aero ED SWA 2" eyepieces

I have read that the Baader 31mm isn't all that good for the money, I might be wrong though.

cheers for taking the timeout to reply.

plenty of ideas for me to think about,but for now ive plumped for gettin the barlow, LP filter and a powertank as i have a nice 3 week break from work startin next week,so hope to get out and about with the scope.i,ll get used to the EP's with the scope for a while do a bit more savin,then get myself a couple of belters.

cheers

dave

PS how about a Telrad/Rigel finder?
Yes, Deffo a Telrad :).

mind readers the pair of you..haha,the telrad is yet another item on my TO BUY list.couple of questions

where would be the best place to fit one on a dob and do FLO not stock them as i cant see them on the website

thanx again

dave

they come up used every now and again but Harrison Telescopes are very good and stock them.

I put mine here (old pic of my current 12" dob so there's a bit more room maybe at the top end of mine). basically as far up as you can and in between focuser and optical finder is where I tend to prefer.

post-17776-1338775478_thumb.jpg

Archived