SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from Warrington

daveh71

Hi everyone. I've just become really interested in astronomy since seeing the space station last week but i've only got a pair of binoculars. Any advice on a first telescope for a beginner. My wife says £300 is my limit.:o.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI Dave and welcome to SGL

There's nothing wrong with starting with bino's in fact it's a great way to learn the skies - also, download Stellarium (free) to show you what you're actually looking at. I'll leave the scope advice for more experienced members.

Good luck and enjoy

Hi Dave, welcome to SGL.

For £300 you would be able to afford this,

Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

It's pretty much about the best optics for the price and has good reviews. I don't have much knowledge of refractor's so I wouldn't be best placed to comment on them.

The Dob doesn't have GoTo or tracking and has to be manually pushed to objects, but the popularity of this type of scope is down to the size of aperture for your dollar. Have a good look at reviews of various scopes before parting with your cash, and I would advise having a look in Supplier Reviews on this forum before ordering, it may save you some pain!

Let us know how you get on.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to THE forum, can't help you with the scope advise (only just started myself), but would sugest a bit of research on what type of scope you want, Dob, Reflector or Refractor. Where you are going to keep it / use it, would you need something fixed or mobile, what you want to see deepspace planets (everything) like the rest of us, lots to consider before you get the wrong thing and loose interest. we wouldn't want that.

Once you have made some sort of choice post on here for advice on which scope/s and the feedback will help make your mind up..

From an Ex Warringtonion,:o

Cheers

Dave B

Hi Dave,

I joined the forum recently myself, it's a really friendly place and you'll pick up loads of good advice and information. People seem very patient with us new guys, and the 'Primers' section is dead useful. All the best with the new hobby. :o

Hey Dave... always nice to see a local :o

I Just joined today too and will also be looking to get my first (other than my childhood toys) scope... I'm hoping to see Saturn & it's rings, and maybe a few federation ships if possible...

Later...

Stu

There's nothing wrong with starting with bino's in fact it's a great way to learn the skies - also, download Stellarium (free) to show you what you're actually looking at. I'll leave the scope advice for more experienced members.

Ditto & welcome along

Hi Dave and welcome from me too. Before parting with any cash work out what you want from the scope, how portable it needs to be etc. There are lots of scopes, the choice is bewildering. I recently bought a TAL-1 after reading good things from owners but since I got it work and the weather have meant I've had very little chance to use it. Best of luck.

Archived