SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Televue 32mm Widefield Japan NJ

Hi

I am posting this thread as i have a Televue 32mm Widefield NJ Japan eyepiece in my collection on reading some of the US forums aparently these are now collectors items. I would be interested if any SGL members could shed any light on this i have no idea what this eyepiece is worth or is collectable, I only know it is a fantastic eyepiece giving exceptional views through my 8 inch reflector. I have included some pictures with the thread and one pic shows it with my TV Nagler type 2 just to show how big this piece is. Anyway if anyone has some info please reply to the thread.

Andy

post-23205-133877546474_thumb.jpg

post-23205-133877546479_thumb.jpg

post-23205-133877546484_thumb.jpg

post-23205-133877546489_thumb.jpg

post-23205-133877546494_thumb.jpg

I used to own the 15mm, 19mm and 24mm TV Wide Feild's which were in the 1.25" fitting. They were the forerunners of the Panoptics and pretty good eyepieces. FoV is 65 degrees. There were later versions which had rubber eye cups but mine were "smooth sides" like yours is. The modern day equivalent is probably the Skywatcher Aero ED 30mm.

The Panoptics have slightly better light transmission, a wider FoV and are sharp to the edge of that field in fast scopes but I guess you would expect that time would bring these improvements.

Nice eyepieces but I'm always dubious about the term "collectable" as they are only worth what people are prepared to pay and astronomers are generally practical types !.

John

Thanks for your response i have been looking on the forums in the states and it seems that this particular one was there favorite. I used the term collectible as this is what seems to be what they are saying across the pond. It is a fantastic eyepiece though great for star hopping and locating your targets to move up to higher powers i got the best views of the double cluster with this eyepiece. I am considering letting it go to move on to a 35mm panoptic but i really do not know what to ask for it so hats the reason i put the thread on SGL to get some kind of idea thanks again John.

Yes Paul that seems to be the trend when i have been looking this evening i suppose it also depends on condition aswell. This one i have is good but i will have to consider what move to make as it is so good.

Well you are quite correct i have 7 12 17 20mm Naglers and the widefield but i have been offered a 35mm panoptic so i think the widefield will go to fund the panoptic. I have recently bought the 17mm in the 20/20 sale so the astro coffers so to speak are a little low so something has to make room and i think it will be this one.

John

My scope is an f/6 so it should be fine through that the panoptic. Looks like i will sell the widefield to fund the panoptic. I have been on the US sites again and it looks like they are fetching around $200 the exchange rate makes that around £122 so i will have to have a go at that price and see what happens.

Archived