Narrowband

EQ or Dob?

My next telescope will probably be a Skywatcher 10", but I'm not sure whether to go for a 10" Dobsonian with auto tracking, or an 8" on an Equatorial with a clock drive, at around the same price bracket.

Compared to a Dobsonian, is an EQ mount any better when both scopes will auto track the same?

I'm primarily interested in astrophotography, if that makes any difference. Has anyone got an auto-tracking dob they're doing astrophotography with? If so, I'd like to hear your views, and hopefully see your photos.

If you have a strong interest in Astrophotography you will need an EQ mount.

That isn't to say a dob wont work, it will but you will be limited to short(ish) exposures. If Im correct (and there is a strong chance I wont be!!!!), a dob will suffer from field rotation which will be far more apparent than an EQ mount. That isn't to say an EQ mount wont suffer from field rotation, it can, but accurate alignment can reduce this.

The benefit of an EQ mount is you polar align and then have an accurate mount that can track the stars in their apparent motion across the sky.

Archived