Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Missing Moon Buggy

Damo636

I realise this has to be one of the most ridiculous questions ever asked on here but going to ask it anyway! I was watching an episode of Top Gear at the weekend, the one where James gets to drive the new lunar rover. Apparently NASA left the last one behind on the moon. Has anyone ever tried to locate it through a telescope?

I don't thing the resolving power of your typical telescope is anywhere near enough to see something so small. For example the big 8m ground based telescopes would probably only resolve down to about 150m on the moon.

James

Look here.

BTW the "moon buggy" that James May drove wasn't. The real moon buggy would have collapsed if anyone sat on it in Earth's strong gravity field - it was built down to a very strict weight limit & strong enough to work in 1/6 gravity.

Wasn't the Lunar Rover built by Porsche? Not kidding - I seem to remember that from the 80's...

Maybe NASA helped by Porsche - sort of 'how do you do this?!'

I don't know.

Might be worth the cash to go and get it!

Archived