Which APO ?

I offered the 98FLTCF because as well as being solid, the CF tube is LIGHT, BEAUTIFUL and QUALITY.

You certainly cant argue with that...it is a beauty. But is it maybe a little overkill for visual when a little extra aperture will make for a brighter image? I don't know...but it is more expensive.

The WO EZ touch tripods will take around 10KG and that along with say the 120 Megrez (at 6kgs) could make a fairly portable (throw in the back of car) setup.

Although not a triplet like the Meade 127, the 120 Megrez is still a good performer from what I've heard....and within budget and probably under if you can find one second hand.

This will give more aperture than the TV or Tak at that price point, although I do not question that those are likely to be fine scopes! (the TV76 or the Tak Sky-90 for a bit over budget!)

However that said, my choice would be this APM 107 Triplet with Feathertouch focuser and without field flattener for just over budget at 1889...although tbh I've probably get it with the flattener as I can see that 'which webcam' question coming already...hehehehe! :(

APM Triplet 107mm F6.5 Apochromat Refractor

Give yourself options for later....?

best advice has already been given though...take your time and enjoy the process.

fingers crossed you stay with us... :o

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it has to be an APO with looks as well as optical quality and visual only then it's the William Optics Zenithstar 110. Same optics as the TMB version FLT110 with the gorgeous Black/Gold colour scheme. Discontinued now but do pop up secondhand for less than £1k (IIRC I sold mine for about £900). Job done :o.

Tony..

Only problem with getting a used scope is you have to wait for one to appear.

If A-B had £1000 spare then the FLT 98 on Astro B+S would be good, but if she sells her stuff first and then has to wait who will guarantee another one appearing at the right time. On that alone I would not say "Get scope X on the used market", there may not be the desired scope X on the used market.

The WO110 would be suitable but I seem to recall asking about this once and being advised a little against it by, I think, FLO. Basically good but not a good as others in the range. Cannot recall why.

As size appears to be a factor perhaps the Meg 90 would actually be a scope that is used more at the end of the day.

Actually where is A-B ?

She stopped replying on the first page.

What about the upcoming SkyWatcher 150ED f/7 five-element (triplet at front plus doublet flattener) :)

John

seems like a lot of people are waiting to see if these scopes ever come to britain, and at what price

The WO110 would be suitable but I seem to recall asking about this once and being advised a little against it by, I think, FLO. Basically good but not a good as others in the range. Cannot recall why.

The only thing I can think of that's a negative in relation to the ZS110 is that like the FLT98, it's really a scope built for observing and you need at least 1 extension tube to bring a camera to focus (in fact I needed two for the ZS110). As we're only talking visual here then it's ideal.

Tony..

The only thing I can think of that's a negative in relation to the ZS110 is that like the FLT98, it's really a scope built for observing and you need at least 1 extension tube to bring a camera to focus (in fact I needed two for the ZS110). As we're only talking visual here then it's ideal.

Tony..

That's the real difference between the CF tube FLT98 and the ali tube version. The CF is fine for visual but the ali tube version with Feather Touch R&P is ideal for AP and Ian King rates it as being equivalent to a Tak FSQ 106.

John

That's the real difference between the CF tube FLT98 and the ali tube version. The CF is fine for visual but the ali tube version with Feather Touch R&P is ideal for AP and Ian King rates it as being equivalent to a Tak FSQ 106.

John

I had the ali tube version (albeit with the original focuser) of the FLT John and I had to rack the focuser out quite a way out and use an 80mm extension tube to get my camera to focus. It worked fine but it's not ideal. IIRC I read a post on another forum from the designer of the FLT98 who stated he designed it as an observing scope. Like the ZS110, if they made the tube longer then it wouldn't be an issue.

As for it being the equivalent to a FSQ106, I think there's a fair few Tak owners who would need new keyboards after reading that!

Tony..

I had the ali tube version (albeit with the original focuser) of the FLT John and I had to rack the focuser out quite a way out and use an 80mm extension tube to get my camera to focus. It worked fine but it's not ideal. IIRC I read a post on another forum from the designer of the FLT98 who stated he designed it as an observing scope. Like the ZS110, if they made the tube longer then it wouldn't be an issue.

As for it being the equivalent to a FSQ106, I think there's a fair few Tak owners who would need new keyboards after reading that!

Tony..

The FT does indeed make a big difference, it totally transforms the scope. As to the Tak Comparison, well that's the opinion of Ian King who does know a thing or two about imaging.

BTW WO made some changes to the ali tube of the FLT98 so it seems that there are two versions out there. Not sure what the changes are as the tubes look the same although the earlier focuser won't fit the later tube.

John

What about the upcoming SkyWatcher 150ED f/7 five-element (triplet at front plus doublet flattener) :)

John

i wasnt aware skywatcher had this on the cards, ive been out of the loop for a bit, i may have to get the new catalogue :(

Well its looking to me like a toss up between the Meade 127 5000 series or the 115 from Altair or possible the 127 from TS which looks rather like the Meade in disguise.

Reason is they will all fit easily into the weight/size, all have a decent case with accessories ready to go.

The Meade leads a little at the moment just on price and availability and probably resale value later on but the Altair and the TS have what look like much nicer focusers.

if you want to compare aperture, got an 100ed and 120ed at the moment if want to compare side by side. (know your not looking at getting a SW)

looking at selling the 100ed soon hence let me know before I do sell :)

Maybe it was the Williams Optics Megrez 110mm? That scope had a less than stellar reputation when compared to others on the range.

Not quite in the league you're looking at but I've just gotten hold of a Megrez 88 FD for a grab and go. Having been used to achros I have to say the daylight view through this FPL53 doublet is remarkably fringe free. I did wonder whether a doublet apo would be any good but was told if you are on a budget a good doublet is generally better than a cheap triplet and I can't see any reason to argue with that... Gagging for some clear skies now to use it in anger!

Archived