Which APO ?

I am seriously considerimg selling all my gear and replacimg it with something more compact.

I am thinking in terms of an APO at the moment with an aperture of around 100 to 120 and a price of somewhere between £1,000 and £1,500.

Mount coud be either the HEQ5 or the EQ6, currently I have both so would choose whichever was best able to handle the scope but would prefer to keep the HEQ5.

Questions.....

Will the views be ok ? I know they probably wont match the 200 newt on DSO but my thinking is something I can see with 100 mm that I use will be better that the theoretical views through a 200 that never gets used cos of the weight hassles.

The TAL 100 is my most used scope because of its weight and size which has led me to think about a wholesale sell off.

What APO to buy ? The Altair Astro 115 triple looks nice but can I do better for the cash. I kind of like the look of the Meade 127 or perhaps the WO 120, dont much like the SW offerings, the equinox looks too plastic and I hate the color scheme of the ED 120 Pro....I know I could never live with either scope on their aesthetics. White metal wins hands down on this one.

This will be for visual only, I have no interest in imaging and that wont change.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...hehehe....an APO is the slippy slope to the dark side :o no interest in imaging.... next will be which webcam? (for sykpe chats only I'm sure)

only teasing....

Hope you've managed to up your tally with the last few clear nights!

Best wishes...M

To me, the jump from 4" to (almost) 5" in 'fracs is like the jump between a 6" newt and an 8" one, really noticeable. It's a definate step up but TBH, the ED120 is almost as long as your SW 200P and the Meade 127 is slightly bigger again so they're not exactly compact.

If you want something small with decent views that are almost APO-like, I'd look at a 6" Mak-Cass. It'll sit on an EQ5 easily (although I did a few observing sessions with my ED120 on a CG5 with no problems), cooldown isn't a huge issue and they really are pretty close to an APO visually. You could buy an Intes Micro M603 with that budget and if they're anything like my old Intes MK66, you won't be disappointed.

Tony..

A mak will need anti dew which adds to hassle. Although a frac will be as long as a newt it wont be as heavy or bulky.

The TAL is the scope of choice for me these days because it may be as long as a 200 but its half the weight, can use the lighter of the two mounts, needs fewer counterweights and doesnt need any anti dew.

Anti dew means extra cable, dewsheild, heater band etc plus longer cool down.

I want faster setup, lighter weight and bulk and less equipment to tote.

On planetary, lunar and double star viewing, a 5" class apochromat will probably produce views at least as pleasing as your 8" newt does. It's on DSO's that the aperture drop and light grasp will tell - particularly globular clusters and galaxies although most of the latter are not much more than fuzzy patches even with an 8" if we are honest with ourselves :o

A 5" class equatorially mounted apo plus a 10" dob would be a great combination IMHO but would possibly push your budget over the edge and may present you with portability issues (I seem to recall you live in an apartment ?).

For visual, personally I think I'd go for a doublet with an FPL-53 element rather than a budget triplet but thats probably just me being over-cautious :(

For visual, personally I think I'd go for a doublet with an FPL-53 element rather than a budget triplet but thats probably just me being over-cautious :o

Me too, there are a lot of generic rebadged triplets with variable quality control around.

What about the Ian King f7 Ikharos? I know it's meant to be an imaging scope, but it is nice and compact and shouldn't need a monster mount. I think it's the same scope as the Astro-Professional ED102, with a different focusser but a lot cheaper. I have been thinking about one of these too...

Th WO 120 uses exactly the same lens as the Equinox 120 but has a better focuser. Telescope Service does some excellent FPL-53 doublets and triplets that are worth a look.

I would suggest a WO FLT98 with Feather Touch R&P focuser, but that's over £2,00.00 unfortunately.

John

Mel, as you enjoy the Tal scopes so much what about the new TAL 125R Apolar Apo? Probably around £1800 which I know is more than your budget but it would be something a little different. It has more aperture than your existing Tal and it would mean that when you have sold all of your scopes to fund this new direction, you still get to enjoy the optical precision that this manufacturer brings to the table. I have no idea what the weight of it will be but I think its dew shield at the front will provide for plenty of hours of clear seeing.

Clear skies

James

James, the TAL would be a contender BUT its such an unknown quantity and its weird optical design worries me. Without a UK test I am too nervous to spend that kind of cash.

The rason asthetics are so essential by the way is the fact that we have had almost 3 months of unmitigated cloud. Because of that and a recent run if problems if it wee solely my chouce I would now sell up and quit. The disappointments over the last 12 months have really killed the hobby for me.

Other half though insists that as they partly paid for the gear they wont accept a no scope option and insist that at least one scope is available for use in case I ever want to use it. Thats being the case for harmony in the house my preferd option is to flog everything and have a single scope.

By the way ...yes...i do live in a flat so portability is the key but as I am unlikley to use the scope much if at all going by the past 12 months, rhen asthetics are important as the scope will be more a piece of furniture than anything else.

Thanks for the input on scopes so far, maybe. A double is the way to go.

I'd be tempted to put portability/ease of use first and then work to the strengths of the 'scope design that best fits that. That means dropping down in aperture - a 5" refractor is still quite large and cumbersome - but a 4" or even a 3" will do very well on lunar/planetary and doubles, and will still do a very good job on Messiers if you ever take it out to a dark site - O'Meara does the lot with a 4". And it's dead easy to carry around, setup and use. I love my TeleVue 76 on a Porta II, simplicity itself to use and lovely optics. I can be up and running within 30 seconds, enough that i'll use it even if it's no more than take a quick look at Albireo or Mizar through a gap in the clouds. So I use it a lot.

In your case i'd be tempted to go a bit larger/longer than the TV76, maybe a 90mm f/7 or something like that - don't get too worried about aperture, glass or design, too much gets written about doublet vs. triplet or FPL-53 vs. the rest. A humble £100 achromat still provides great views really, especially when used to its strengths. Light pollution? Moon, planets and a ton of doubles cut straight through that, look at them rather than a faint smudge that needs dark sky.

Saying the best 'scope is the one you use most is an old cliche but a true one. So pick something that's dead easy to use, and use it.

Mel, i can understand why your feeling jaded with this hobby, i have purchased 2 telescopes to do lunar imaging, and not had a chance to do so since before i got these scopes, last time i did an image was early november!

why not just keep the tal 100, we all know what good alrounder scopes they are

Mel, i can understand why your feeling jaded with this hobby, i have purchased 2 telescopes to do lunar imaging, and not had a chance to do so since before i got these scopes, last time i did an image was early november!

This really sums up my point about ease of use, i've used one or more 'scope on virtually every night in the past week - even if it's 10 minutes hopping between gaps in the cloud. Being able to grab opportunities when they arise is so important with the weather in this country, and if setting up is a faff then it just won't happen.

I have imaged with the Meade 127 and the Altair Astro 115. I like the the Meade very much and thought it great value, but times move on and, quite honestly, the Altair 115 has it beaten on all counts bar the aperture for visual use. You get built in flattener, big focuser for larger format, two rotators, a bigger flat field and significantly better control of bright stars. The finder is fantastic. The Meade really has jumped up in price and does not offer the same features, mechanical or optical.

This was taken with a 15mm square chip in the 115, less than 4 hours in an OSC. Check out the corner stars.

Nebulae and clusters. - ollypenrice's Photos

Without wanting to start a ballyhoo on this old chestnut refractors do punch above their weight on some objects. Or they do for me and I have no axe to grind since I also have a Newt and an SCT.

Olly

The 127 Meade is a lovely scope, let down a little by its focuser, changed mine for a Moonlite now. I can vouch for the views through it. For imaging its a belter, gives pretty good flat fields as well although for large chip cameras it will benefit from a flattener.

Weight wise, I regularly cart it and the ST80 perched on top of it down to my obseravtory all in one and havent had a hernia from it yet:D

The HEQ5 will take it for visual I havent tried this set up on imaging though. Ill be bringing this set up to SGL6 for visual only so if you want to try it out your welcome

I also have a OTB 102ED doublet which is a bit out dated technology wise but is still a great portable scope and still at 700 notes ish is still a good bargain. Its small, light and is a perfect size for the HEQ5 and makes a great imaging scope. This has been my mobile scope of choice for several years and gives respectable views althoug the extra inch of the 127 beats it.

If you are selling your other kit for this to replace I would go for the 5" as a good combo of apeture and weight.

Philj

PS If you selling the Polarex can I have 1st dibs:D:D

If you don't mind second hand there's a Vixen ED 115s F7.7 APO on astrobuysell at the moment. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think the Vixen scopes are aesthetically very pleasing and although I've not had a look through one they are by all accounts very good optically.

My Vixen ED102SS is from the previous generation of Vixen's to that scope and it's excellent and very portable - my most used scope of course :o

That ED115 looks mighty attractive, both cosmetically and from a potential performance perspective, I have to say :(

What about a s/h 4" TV Genesis? Ivory Pearl finish, neat compact first class quality and for visual - pretty hard to beat. I've had mine for over 20 years and I'd never part with it....just an idea.

Archived