Jump to content




sunset - what's one of these called?


Recommended Posts

Shortly after sunset tonight, driving home, I saw this phenomenon:


The orange glow near the horizon is *not* the sun - that had set. To the eye it had the appearance of a vertical column of light, rising maybe 5 degrees above the horizon.

Can anyone advise what this is called, and what causes it? Preferably without using the phrase "a billion trillion dying suns" or standing on top of a mountain? :o

Edited by GazK
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aah, thanks Brian - there are some cracking images of the phenomenon on google. It was a somewhat hasty photoshoot - pulled over by the side of the road on the way home using my cameraphone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.