Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 power problem

Hi all

Just picked up a secondhand HEQ5 not synscan and no handset.

Been trying it out with the laptop via EQMOD for the last couple of days and eveything going fine.

Just tried to set it up again and the mount seems dead. Red power light is on but it is silent and does not respond to any commands from the lappy.

Ideas anyone? Worried that I've fried something!

Ta

John

Could be a bad connection with teh PC cable? on my heq5 at least, if handcontroller is disconnected or have a bad connection, light is on, but it's all quiet (while it's usually having this bizzzzing sound).

never tried EQMOD though, so don't know how mount usually respond to that.

Hi all

Just picked up a secondhand HEQ5 not synscan and no handset.

Been trying it out with the laptop via EQMOD for the last couple of days and eveything going fine.

Just tried to set it up again and the mount seems dead. Red power light is on but it is silent and does not respond to any commands from the lappy.

Ideas anyone? Worried that I've fried something!

Ta

John

Do you mean a standard non-goto HEQ5 ?

Peter

Make sure all your cables are connected correctly. Switch off mount, restart PC and try it all again.

It's not connecting to PC via EQMOD. As soon as it connects, you will here a slight clunk, and then the high pitched sounds.

HTH

K

I'm trying again now

Make sure all your cables are connected correctly. Switch off mount, restart PC and try it all again.

It's not connecting to PC via EQMOD. As soon as it connects, you will here a slight clunk, and then the high pitched sounds.

HTH

Great! So glad it was that simple. Computers these days, can't live without them, and can't work with them. Thay have a mind of their own sometimes.. lol

Did you get any errors on the PC or anything? or did it say it was connected to mount like normal?

Good to know for when i'll try EQMOD later. :o

No not yet. Got quite a lot of stuff going on at the moment so time has been tight. Was hoping to get out tonight but it's clouded up here over the last couple of hours.

Saw your post on polar alignment earlier. It was really useful and cleared a few things up for me.

I'll let you know as soon as I get first light

John

Awesome.

So have you managed to get any observing or imaging done wth it yet?

Cheers

Great! So glad it was that simple. Computers these days, can't live without them, and can't work with them. Thay have a mind of their own sometimes.. lol

Did you get any errors on the PC or anything? or did it say it was connected to mount like normal?

Good to know for when i'll try EQMOD later. :o

No - no errors at all.

To be honest it was just me being a fool. I consider myself to be pretty computer savvy but I didn't consider rebooting for some reason.

If you've not tried EQMOD give it a whirl. It seems to have just about everything covered.

Just so you know, that post is a quick align AFTER polar alignment.

You first have to polar align with the polarscope, and then continue from there.

I'm sure you will find it a breeze. That HEQ5's polarscope is well centred, and never gave me any hassles.

The EQDIR module is also nice, no RS232 adapter etc.

Cheers

Another tip, after plugging the EQMOD cable into the mount, place a small amount f bluetack around it, and press it down. Those plugs are not to reliable on the HEQ5.

I also attached an anchor to the side of the mount for the power and USB cable to be tyraped(cabletied) to. Also a good idea for saving the cables from flexure.

HTH

Just so you know, that post is a quick align AFTER polar alignment.

You first have to polar align with the polarscope, and then continue from there.

I'm sure you will find it a breeze. That HEQ5's polarscope is well centred, and never gave me any hassles.

The EQDIR module is also nice, no RS232 adapter etc.

Cheers

Well, polar aligning is going to be fun because the Council have decided to put a new streetlamp directly inbetween Polaris and my observing position. :o

I was going to ask about the EQDIR cable. Did you make it yourself? It's really neat.

I'm really happy with my purchases Grant. I think the Meg72 is wonderful. Really can't wait to get out and use it. Hope you're not missing it all too much.

Another tip, after plugging the EQMOD cable into the mount, place a small amount f bluetack around it, and press it down. Those plugs are not to reliable on the HEQ5.

I also attached an anchor to the side of the mount for the power and USB cable to be tyraped(cabletied) to. Also a good idea for saving the cables from flexure.

HTH

Noticed that mate - thanks for the tip

I miss it all a lot yeah, but am on a new mission, so shouldn't get to bored.

I didn't make the cable myself, but it is really easy to make up, and works a treat.

I was out tonight with my newly aquired EQ1, VERY different to the HEQ5, and can't wait to get going with it. BTB's.

Cheers

Archived