SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

''Discovered'' the moon heheh

Last night was the 1st time that I viewed the moon with my scope.

You would have thought id discovered it how exited I was! Best of all, the neighbours came out and after initially saying I was odd (no idea why) they had a look themselves and were amazed by how much was ‘’up there’’ other than what you can see with the naked eye :o

But just a few questions if I may?

The very large orange star to the left and below the moon (as you can see I'm not at all technical yet!), is that Aldebaran? (i need to get a a planisphere!

This was one of many attempts at photographing the moon

moooo.jpg

I'm quite pleased with it considering all I have is a standard digital camera! Nothing like what you guys get though I know!

I'm looking forward to the so called ‘’super moon’’ this month for more shots :(

The very large orange star to the left and below the moon (as you can see I'm not at all technical yet!), is that Aldebaran? (i need to get a a planisphere!

Or it could be Betelgeuse, top left of Orion as you look.

Well done mate.

It's amazing when you first see the moon - pretty amazing after that too.

The star below the moon last night was Betelgeuse which is in the constellation Orion a little further to the West was Aldebaran in Taurus.

Both of these are reddish.

If you haven't downloaded Stellarium you can get it here. This is a really useful free planatrium program which you can set for your location and will show exactly what's in the sky.

BTW your pic. looks better than my first effort.

Enjoy.

HTH

Here's my attempt at afocal imaging using a cheap and cheerful 8mp camera: (PS the straight wall was an awesome sight!)

DSCI1437.jpg?t=1300129455

That's stunning. Sharp and crisp and I love the angle.:o

Last night was the 1st time that I viewed the moon with my scope.

You would have thought id discovered it how exited I was! Best of all, the neighbours came out and after initially saying I was odd (no idea why) they had a look themselves and were amazed by how much was ‘’up there’’ other than what you can see with the naked eye :o

This was one of many attempts at photographing the moon

moooo.jpg

I'm quite pleased with it considering all I have is a standard digital camera! Nothing like what you guys get though I know!

I'm looking forward to the so called ‘’super moon’’ this month for more shots :(

Great catch for a 1st attempt. I still get worse results and I've taken about 25 of the Moon.:)

Looks like all us beginners are photographing the moon. I found it hard to focus, hold the camera steady and keep the moon in view. I need a t-adapter I think.

Here's my best attempt. A little soft and theres definite fringing (not noticeable when viewing so I wonder if it's some CA from the camera lens.

5524657764_bd0642399d_b.jpg

a%3E

Archived