Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

best way to store a newtonian

Maybe an odd question, but what is the best way to store a newtonian scope when it is not attached to the mount. I have read of disasters of people laying them on there ends then the mirrors fall in. Also, when the newt is on the mount in a relaxed state, should it be pointing north south or east west, up down or straight across. Thanks all, sitting here at the moment awaiting the arrival of my skywatcher and heq5, garage been cleaned so lots of space to open boxes.

I personally wouldn't do that Steve, the reason is that for a newtonian, dust will settle on the primary mirror. I leave my scope mounted as you suggested but with the tube orientated horizontally instead, and with the tupe rotated within the rings suficiently so that the secondary is safe as well. It doesn't look as good, and probably takes up a little more space, but prevents the dust from settling on the mirrors. :D

I do too Steve but dust always manages to find a way in. I am a little obsessive about dust though, and a little on a lens or mirror which seems to come from nowhere, or anything that destroys the perfection of a brand new optical surface, makes me stressed.

I wouldn't worry too much. Compared to a secondary mirror, the obstruction from a few specks of two of dust is irrelevant.

A significant amount of dust will effect contrast. Even then, cleaning a mirror isn't as scary as it sounds :D

Measure carefully, and point the tube exactly north and lower it so the angle of the tube is the difference between your latitude and 90 degrees, thereby assuring the scope is pointing directly at the north pole. Build a pyramid of plexiglass, with sides 1.2735 times the length of your scope, and proportioned to the Great Pyramid of Khufu at Giza. Then... OH, NEVER MIND! :insects1:

Just store it horizontally on or off the mount, and cover it with a cloth or plastic, or both. If using plastic, the bottom should be open to allow air circulation and drying. :D

Welcome aboard. :p

My old 8 inch Newtonian was always stored stood vertically primary facing up, I always placed a virgin piece of chamois cut to size on the mirror to stop dust and insects with clogs on from marking the mirror. Also a good idea to place bag of desiccant in there too to absorb moisture. Maybe an old sock pulled over the secondary for good measure. AND I always secured the OTA to summat solid with a couple of elasticated bungees :D

I always placed a virgin piece of chamois
:shock:

Prefer my chamois to have a bit more experience :D

I Store my Newt vertical with the mirror down..It's a bit dusty and a spider lives in there...The same one we found in there at the Welsh star party... :shock: (I havn't the heart to kick him out!)

I wouldn't bother cleaning the mirror unless it's so bad you can't see anything with it! As has been said before you could end up damaging it.

Greg

Archived