Narrowband

Webcam Mod wiring

malc-c

ok i do have the serial to usb converter suggested by roger so i shall get a serial cable and use that.

Anyway so people suggesting i should use a different transistor to what i haveis this correct?

So for the questions but i aint up with transistor tech but i can follow the diagrams just need to know i got the right components.

Thanks for all your help

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The transistors are not that critical, so long as they are an NPN general purpose amplifier type. I used 2N3904's (just watch the pinouts as they are reversed from the ones in the original pdf) -

google !

:) - sorry... not helpful... but it is the answer. if you enter the transistor into google and select images you'll see the pin outs Colector, Base and Emmitor (CBE) - just compare the image for the ones you have to see if they are the same orientation as the ones in the PDF - it's not a problem if yours are CBE and the originals are EBC, just face them the other way !

hi there,

I am looking at using a fan for my modded spc900 and was wondering where i take the 5v power source from i.e serial cable or camera power supply also do i need to put a resistor on the fan + side and will i need a resistor for the amp off switch?

I have copied the bolton astro route to the picture.

All help appreciated cheers dazz

Daz,

To supply the fan, take the supply from the 5v from the USB lead. The resistor was used because the author of that document felt the fan was too noisy when running at full speed. Placing the resistor in series with the fan reduces the voltage and thus the speed. You could place it in series before the fan on the +5 or on the return to GND - it matters not really.

Lee,I wanted to take a moment to thank you and Malc and the others for your time and effort in working up the schematics and posting them for the rest of us to veiw.I found the information here to be extremely valuable in building the mod.Of course thanks also to Mr Bolton who I assume first designed the circuit.Have you given any thought to adding a bias injection mod to this circuitry?You may find Tom How's bias injection experiments pretty interesting.Thanks again.

Mr. Moo,wish I knew about your kit before I started this mod.Would have sved alot of whats left of my hair!Thats one stop shopping there.It's hard to find components here,have to order most online then wait,return whats shipped wrong then wait some more.Nice job with the kits

• 2 weeks later...

Need assistance from you good people, I noticed that the 1.25 attachment was moving, on closer inspection I realised that the board inside had come loose so opened the case to see if I could fix it. Not only was the main board loose but one of the wires was adrift and no amout of looking could lead me to see where it came from. I have attached a couple of photos, now I know the wiring colour codes may not be standard so not expecting help in that direction. The wire in question is the red and is lying over the edge of the case, if anyone could help I will be a happy chappy.

c5d05cef7bae24e8c70f5568e383a5f2_10899.jpg?dl=1303987332

951015d07bc142b9c6810ad3cef63c10_10898.jpg?dl=1303987290

Thanks in advance :)

Jim

Jim, was this a camera you modded, or one purchased ready modified ?

It's really hard to tell where the wire came from that image - you need to trace it back and see where the other end is attached and then hopefully will give us some indication

Malcolm, this is one I bought ready modded, can't remember wether here or fleabay. Those photos are thumbnails so can be enlarged, but the wire traces back close to where the orange wire terminates on the bottom board. Was hoping someone might recognise the wiring layout and be able to say where those wires, the orange, yellow and red, go to. With a process of elimnation I could then solve the red one and reterminate it.

Jim

have a look here http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/114129-pictures-taken-during-some-lx-mono-mods-3.html#post1539313mate this is how yours should be wired i think,from what i can make out from your pics it looks like it one of the pad or pin wires and i think it one of the ones that goes to the switch coz your switch only has 2 wires and the one in the thread has 3.

Hope this helps mate

Thanks for the replies to my query all, now another :D. I noticed during the orignal inspection of the loose adapter that there was a hole on the side of the casing. I at the time assumed I had dropped the camera and possibly caused it but when I opened the case it is in actual fact a drilled hole to put a screwdriver in to turn a screw on a small box. I have not seen this in any of the mod photos, anyone got any idea what that is for? Don't want to take the camera apart again in case of loose wires so sorry for that. :)

Jim

Thanks Malcolm, when you say amp glow, is that a light as I have seen one in there, yes am a dud when it comes to all this stuff. I would love to do electronics but my weak point is soldering, hard to believe I was a plumber and worked lead and should know better but there you are :D.

Jim

Archived