Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Webcam Mod wiring

malc-c

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL - Lee, if were were scoring points (which we're not) it would be more like 1-1 as you still managed to fit it all in the original case !

Roger, thanks. I was a bit miffed at the mess the CA glue has made, and it took a lot of persuading that it would fit, but I'm much happier now :D

I've re-worked the stripboard image into a traditional schematic using 2N3904 Transistors, and then added a couple of connectors to come up with a prototype PCB for the single cable mod. As I don't intend to have the camera switchable to Normal Mode I've left the switch out (it also meant that you can get away with using thing 8 core alarm cable. You could of course add the switch in the camera housing as Lee has if you still wanted to have this feature.

If I get chance I'll try and make the PCB and mod the camera before SGL next week, but TBH I don't think I'll have time. I've attached some PDFs for those interested.

LX Mod PCB2.pdf

LX Mod PCB1.pdf

post-23388-133877552998_thumb.jpg

Must admit it took me a while to get my head round it and I've been making electronic projects for years. !

Lee, yes, as far as I can see that would work... could I suggest making the coloured lines a little thicker if you intend drafting up a guide

Great diagrams, BTW I am not sure if this works in all browsers but I accidently found that I can zoom in out by holding down Ctrl and moving the scroll on the mouse, really helps with these pictures/diagrams.

Is the 4066 not required when using this direct serial method?

Is the 4066 not required when using this direct serial method?

Nope, in this version you only use three transistors, the 4066 is not required. Plus the serial version gives you the SC1.5 mod which is LX and Amp On/Off

Killed two, how did you do that?

Attempted a mono mod on the first, took two pads up :D

Attempted a SC1 on the second, had a slight mishap (after 3 hours of work and almost complete,) and put the soldering iron through the CCD.

My eyes aren't so good I'm finding in my old age :)

My eyes aren't so good I'm finding in my old age :D

That's gutting and I know what you mean about the eyes. As always, it helps to have the right equipment. I've done quite a few micro mods over the years. Jtag on phones, smd rework etc. Magnification and light is essential, be it loupes or a magnifying glass. Along with a temperature controlled soldering iron with micro tip, bench vice and a steady hand. If you get really stuck PM me.

gedc0855.jpg

I'm making two spare cams, so etched some pcb's to fit the MB1 project box guides. Easier to expose 8 at a time. I've been putting it off, the boring bit having to cut and drill them all which I absolutely hate doing...

That's gutting and I know what you mean about the eyes. As always, it helps to have the right equipment. I've done quite a few micro mods over the years. Jtag on phones, smd rework etc. Magnification and light is essential, be it loupes or a magnifying glass. Along with a temperature controlled soldering iron with micro tip, bench vice and a steady hand. If you get really stuck PM me.

Very nice work :D I don't think I'm going to pursue it any further though, confidence gone but I'm happy I gave it a go. I'll probably either just buy another SPC and leave it as is - or just start saving for the DMK.

this thread has been cool i have been following it since it started because i am looking to do the 1.5 mod to my spc900 i was just wondering if somebody could put some pics of the circuit board up and and maybe a bit of an explanation of what to solder where just so i can make sure i am getting it right also am i right in saying that the wires on the left of the diagram go to the camera and the right side to the serial connector?

Also could you conform what parts i need to buy please?

Sorry for the stupid questions .

All help appreciated

this thread has been cool i have been following it since it started because i am looking to do the 1.5 mod to my spc900 i was just wondering if somebody could put some pics of the circuit board up and and maybe a bit of an explanation of what to solder where just so i can make sure i am getting it right also am i right in saying that the wires on the left of the diagram go to the camera and the right side to the serial connector?

Also could you conform what parts i need to buy please?

Sorry for the stupid questions .

All help appreciated

Pretty much everything you need to know is in the original front page link, see below.

Credit to Ross Wilkinson > http://www.boltonastro.org.uk/Members_Area/Projects/spc880conversion.pdf

4066 method and parallel to serial uses a few more than 3 components, think you may have misread my original post,

But anyway, this is the tutorial I used to build my mod, Bolton Astronomical Society • View topic - Cheap Webcams

and here's the shopping list

5 x 10k resistors

3 x BC548 transistors

3 x 1N4148 diodes

1 x 1N5348 diode (ZD11V)

wow nice boards you have etched there wish i could do that do you have to have a specail machine for that kind of work mr moo you could make them and sell the parts in kit form for people that want to convert the webcams that would be great.

Anyway thanks mrmoo and everybody else on the threat it has been an eye opener.

I'm making two spare cams, so etched some pcb's to fit the MB1 project box guides. Easier to expose 8 at a time. I've been putting it off, the boring bit having to cut and drill them all which I absolutely hate doing...

If you've gone that far, why not add the connectors like Gliders project? You can just plug the individual webcam boards directly onto it then - no soldering required (bar +5V / ground.)

19127401.png

Nice re-work of the schematic and very nice and neat wiring of thos boards.

wow nice boards you have etched there wish i could do that do you have to have a specail machine for that kind of work mr moo you could make them and sell the parts in kit form for people that want to convert the webcams that would be great.

Not much to it really. Again, it just about having the tools. Laser printer for the pcb template. UV exposure unit (modified old scanner), bunch of nasty chemicals. Carbide drills and drill press, diamond chop saw or guillotine. A diy kit is doable I guess, I buy in minimum quantities from RS et al. Like the flexible solid core cable, comes on reels that cost a ton but lasts me a decade. Diodes by the 100 that sort of thing. You can buy small quantities from Maplins, but the unit price make me choke tbh.

Archived