Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tonights Wonders of the Universe

CGolder

Not so sure about this. There appears to be no consensus on how you pronounce it :o

There isn't, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek (there was a thread on this a few weeks ago.)

The official statement is, there is no official pronunciation :(

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought last night was a vast improvement on the previous offering.

Last week I stuck it out to the end but wasn't actually enjoying it. Last night I wanted more, always a good sign.

Looking forward to the next two episodes.

I agree. Watched No.2 on iPlayer last night and thought it was much better. I didn't find the music too loud either, which I sort of expected after all the complaints. I don't know if they remixed it already, but I thought it was just right.

Missed it unfortunately as my sis has taken over the tv to watch a movie :o

i didnt read through all the posts but i missed it then remembered i player

was a cool episode i enjoyed it very much. and i think he explained it all very well. im off to read all the posts now

star

I loved it overall.

The one thing they have got bang-on is finding ways to relate these incredibly distant and barely comprehensible processes to everyday things that people understand... like the gold rings.

I do get the feeling however that BC had it drawn into his contract after the success of WOTSS that the next series had to involve him visiting at least 7 more countries on his bucket list though :-) As has been mentioned though... it does make it a bit more visually exciting... the whole thing probably wouldn't have the same sense of awe and visual excitement if he was explaining it all from a car park in Barking.

...and yes, I'll be out there on the next clear night looking at Betlegeuse saying "go...now...go on....go!"

...and innevitably be dissapointed when it doesn't :-)

Ben

...oh, and another thing I don't know if anyone else has noticed, from this series and Solar System... but the way they have done the graphics is borrowed from the new Star Trek film.

I remember seeing a documentary on the film where they explained a few subtle visual clues that you get from real in-space footage (ice crystals on the lense, lens flares etc) that make it look 'real' without people consciously realising why it looks so real... they've used the same effects in these series... does look very good.

Sorry, continue...

Very enjoyable second episode, certainly less doom than the 1st :o, shame some people complained about the music being to loud! so the beeb changed it, what are they on about don't they listen when there is an announcement on the next programme coming up on all channels? its FAR to loud! and never seems to be adjusted, why don't they complain about that?! :(

I think the music is great :D

" to be played at maximum volume " :)

sorry to say I though week one was, well the usual another location, another earth based metaphor. I know it’s important to set the scene as it where. Some nice graphics though. Don't get me wrong. Much better than the vast majority of 'how clean is my celebrity toilet or whatever'. I have just watched the BBC space series, moon machines and cosmos, so I guess I was a bit spoiled. This weeks episode looks much better though, only watched a bit but very good. just my opinion. More power Prof Cox.

It`s impossible to please all of the people all of the time i guess :)

Good as the programme is i find myself falling asleep midway through. The content is good enough, although that incidental music (why?) grates. The reason i think i drift off is Mr.Cox. The guy knows his subject, of that there is little doubt, it`s just he delivers it with an airy, thousand yard stare & mystical smile with zero gravitas. Bung Morgan Freeman a few bob to do the narrative and have "smiler" in to do the technical bit and you`d have a product auntie beeb could flog to the martians.:o Sorted.

Bah.

Humbug.

Will.:(

Utterly briliant television, Just watched the second episode and thought it was incredibly interesting. I really like Brian Cox's style. Someone presenting in such a natural style is far more appealing to me than a 'Morgan Freeman/Hollywood voiceover. Prof Cox I can trust, Freeman and Hollywood produced Invictus. Enough said.

Thoroughly enjoyed the first 2 episodes - made the other half sit through them (he doesn't share my interest) and even he was hooked. Prof Brian Cox is just what's needed on UK TV at the minute and it's fantastic to have something worthwhile for our license fee!

I had to laugh when he dropped the Sodium in water. He sounded utterly surprised and shocked by the reaction.

A bit like my science teacher in school when i dropped a BIG lump of it in water.

She wasnt laughing though.

When I took chemistry at O'level, I remember clearly the lesson when we dropped sodium into water. This was done my the teacher rather than students. She hardly had any sodium in the little container pot, and had a real job setting any out.

I was pretty disapointed with such a small "pop". However, after the lesson the teacher washed her hands only to discover that she had managed to get a fair bit of sodium under her fingernails. As she yelled out in pain, I knew I was then hooked on science!!! :o

Enjoyed the second instalment more than the first, last weeks was very doomy and gloomy, gotta love Brian Cox, he got a chance to show off his piano skills too. I only just learned that he used to play keyboards for D`REAM.. looking forward to the rest of series, only 2 to go,,,, shame.

There's two ways of putting it, the "romantic" or "mystical" way

Quote: We are stardust

and the other way

Quote: We are nuclear waste

The series producers definitely prefer the first one. .

I prefer the second :o

I pretty much agree. I liked it, it was far more interesting than episode 1 and I enjoyed it. But still, a few too many slow-mo shots of Brian walking, in various attire, pulling his 'wondery' face :o

Archived