sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Tonights Wonders of the Universe

What did you think of tonight's episode?

I personally enjoyed the content and found the creation of the elements very good and told well...

I couldn't help but think,... why did he go there? or what's he doing on that mountain? :o

Overall i am upbeat and enjoyed the second instalment of the series

Edited by CGolder
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the 'next' episode in the series and Brian mentioned near the end something along the lines of the 'never ending cycle of life and death of stars'

I thought last weeks show was all about how it will all eventually end?

Is this not slightly contradictory or am I getting the wrong message?

Now I am confused

Ste.

that's a good point, explaining nothing is never ending one week and then saying something is never ending the next one is a little strange. anyone also notice he said that 99% of our planets is made of known elements and that all things are made from these same elements... then why is it not 100% :o i was waiting for hiim to explain that :(

All I can say is "what a night!" got some really good imaging done with me new LX modded web cam, then came in to watch a good episode of WOTU,

Happy days,

It was a learn fest for me, I knew the elements were grafted by the universe but I feel quite a bit more enlightened now.

that's a good point, explaining nothing is never ending one week and then saying something is never ending the next one is a little strange. anyone also notice he said that 99% of our planets is made of known elements and that all things are made from these same elements... then why is it not 100% :o i was waiting for hiim to explain that :(

I think he was saying that 99% of the elements up to iron and 1% of the elements made in supernovas.

the general view on last weeks episode is that it was shown out of sequence. Saying never ending this week for simplisity and then he would have said actually nothing ever lasts for ever!

Now I know where my wedding ring came from!

Mine came from HSamuel :(

Good episode, but I have to complain about one bit ...

It's pronounced Bey-tel-geu-ze :o

Edited by Stephen

well next time you buy a ring for someone and they ask where it come from... you can say it come from the heart of a giant dying star!!

Edited by CGolder

Thats more like it...Really enjoyed all aspects of this episode..Was amazed that all the Gold mined thus far would only fill 3 olympic sized swimming pools..They obviously dont know about my mother in laws Jewellery box!!!.....:o

Just watched the 'next' episode in the series and Brian mentioned near the end something along the lines of the 'never ending cycle of life and death of stars'

Now I am confused

Ste.

Yes, a little confusing, but the last one he talked about the end of the Universe itself. Meanwhile, the processes, such as those that that created our Solar System, and us, are still ongoing in Stellar birthplaces such as the Orion Nebula. Our sun, and therefore the solar system, are on borrowed time. To the tune of about five billion years, give or take a minute or two.

Ron.

Eleanor, my 13 year and I really enjoyed it. Will look forward to buying on Blu Ray and watching again. So much information the hour dissappeared!

The first 'thing' that Eleanor and I looked at was the Orion Nebula so that made all the more interesting.

Regards

Chris

Now I am confused

Ste.

Me too. From what I understand last week he said all the stars in the universe will become supernovas and die. Then this week he said new stars will form from the elements left in the debris. That sounds like an eternal cycle to me. :o

Me too. From what I understand last week he said all the stars in the universe will become supernovas and die. Then this week he said new stars will form from the elements left in the debris. That sounds like an eternal cycle to me. :o

I always thought of it this way. Start off with 100 cars. After a few years they all breakdown. From those 100 cars you can slavage enough parts to make 85 new cars. After a few years they all break down and again you can salvage enough parts to make 65 new cars. And so on. Eventually though there will not be enough parts to make a single car and that will be the end!

Really enjoyed tonight's episode. Not very much I didn't know alteady but it was well presented. I particularly enjoyed the Brazilian prison as a sun with different shells of elements.

I thought last week's episode, for a prime time Sunday night was pretty heavy on the physics side of things, and I enjoyed it very much; there are no other shows like it.

Tonight's episode was better I would say, more interesting and prettier to look at. I pre-ordered the Blu-ray and bought the book too.

Yes, I'm a fanboy. Of a scientist. Who's real. And alive.