Narrowband

Advice required

I have recently sold my Skywatcher Explorer 130 P and have ordered a Skywatcher 250 PX Dob from Rother Valley Optics. (Typical. No scope and the sky is as clear as a bell). I was looking at lenses on their site and came across this link

*Special Offer* Complete set of Skywatcher Plossls | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

Can anyone tell me if this is a good buy or not. I look forward to reading your words of wisdom...

most definitely not. better to spend that money on 2 to 4 decent e/ps (personally, I would say 2) then all those **** ones. also, at f5 your scope will be intolerant of poor e/ps. also, most of the time, most people i think tend only to use 2 or 3 e/ps - the novelty of chnaging e/p every 3 minutes to one a bit longer or shorter quickly wears off.

Probably your new dob will come with 2 Plössl eyepieces, something around 26mm and 10mm.

IMHO, with those 2 plossls and and those 188 pounds, you'd do better with 2 good and wide EP's like the 8mm and the 17mm Baader Hyperions: Telescope Accessories | Eyepieces | Baader | Rother Valley Optics

You end up with Eyepieces of 8mm, 10mm, 17mm and 26mm.

When later you invest in a wide 2" EP around 30-32mm, you have an excellent range of magnifications.

The maths is simple - 9 ep's for £180 = £20 each. The quality will be very similar to that of supplied ep's. You're much better off getting three or four ep's for around £40-£60 each - you'll notice a big step up in quality. The problem is knowing what to choose, and to do that you need to get some loaners to get a feel of what you like.

Astro socs and star party's are a good place to do that. Or get some recommendations here :o

Get to learn to use the scope with what you've got.

Next... go to the local club and ask the lads there - they will propably be happy to let you have a go with their EP in your scope and see how it works for you.

Invest in new kit only when you are sure of 2 things:

1. Your existing gear really won't do what you want.

2. The new kit your ordering will actually do what you want! (We've all blown money on broken promises and false hopes!)

General rule of thumb:

Add complexity only when you have achieved Mastery of what you already have!

I hope that helps!

Dan

The 25mm that is supplied with new Skywatcher scopes is indeed very usable. The 10mm is not so good. The eyepiece kits you mention are tempting for the money but really will only be marginally better quality than the supplied EP's. I would suggest adding a good mid range EP and a decent Barlow. I have a 17mm Hyperion on loan from a friend at the minute and its excellent. The TMB series mentioned above are also very good. Hope this helps.

Get to learn to use the scope with what you've got.

Next... go to the local club and ask the lads there - they will propably be happy to let you have a go with their EP in your scope and see how it works for you.

Invest in new kit only when you are sure of 2 things:

1. Your existing gear really won't do what you want.

2. The new kit your ordering will actually do what you want! (We've all blown money on broken promises and false hopes!)

General rule of thumb:

Add complexity only when you have achieved Mastery of what you already have!

I hope that helps!

Dan

This "nugget" of a post must surely be good advice to beginners like me!

I have only had my scope a few days and was already looking to add to the range of accessories!! - I shall rein in the horses!! (or at least try!!)

Hi Nibor!

Yeah, I used to sell telescopes at a place called Scope City and made my bread and butter on excited chaps like you who just had to load up on gear before they knew what they really had or what it could do for them. (I've repented.... I don't sell optics anymore!)

The local club is really your best resource - and unlike the on-line forums, you can actually see and handle the gear you are discussing.

Dan

Archived