SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What Advice Do You Have for a Light Pollution Filter?

My place (yard/garden) is very polluted by stray light from a shopping center about 400 yards away. I can view the Moon without problems (to belabor the obvious) but I have a great deal of difficulty trying to view planets and any DSO's. I can see Orion quite well on clear nights but cannot see the belt in the telrad to align for the nebula - much less see the nebula. I assume this is due to the LP.

What do I need to know to begin shopping for an LP filter? The scope is an older Orion 8" Newt on a Dobsonian mount. Any help including your advice and pointers to online articles would be most appreciated.

TIA

The best solution is to pack up the 'scope and head out to the nearest dark sky you can find - if the light pollution is extreme (as it sounds like here, if you can't see Orion's belt) then there are limits to what a filter isn't going to achieve.

The best option I can think of is one of the UHC filters, which cut out almost everything to leave just the [O III] and H-beta lines seen in emission nebulae. These are quite effective in high light pollution, but only for relatively few emission-line objects (no good on galaxies or open/globular clusters). Otherwise it depends a bit on what type of lights they are - things like low-pressure sodium can be removed reasonably well, but incandescent lights much less so. But really there's no substitute for heading out to darker sky.

Archived