Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The 21mm Baader Hyperion

Karen

It has just occured to me that my new 21mm Baader Hyperion EP looks somewhat shorter than the advertised images or the image on the box it came in. It seems like Baader may have re-designed it at some point. Has anyone else noticed this?

Picture shows my 21mm alongside my 13mm but if you look at the manufacturers pictures it is definitely longer.

post-23950-133877544494_thumb.jpg

post-23950-133877544499_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...

What telescope(s) are you planning to use it in? The Hyperion's are said not to be good in fast - F/5 or faster - Newtonians. But quite good in slower scopes.

You may have just started a stampede of Hyperion-owners running to their Eyepiece-Case to look to see which variant we harbor! :eek::p

Have Fun,

Dave

On 9/23/2017 at 02:52, Dave In Vermont said:

What telescope(s) are you planning to use it in? The Hyperion's are said not to be good in fast - F/5 or faster - Newtonians. But quite good in slower scopes.

You may have just started a stampede of Hyperion-owners running to their Eyepiece-Case to look to see which variant we harbor! :eek::p

Have Fun,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm well aware of the "not so good performance" of *most* of the Hyperions in fast scopes. I am just curious about this 21mm because it has been "re-done" and shortened in length from the previous longer-looking version. I used to own the 17mm and it wasn't too bad actually. I only need the 21mm because sometimes I sketch and sometimes I wear reading glasses.

Anybody have the newer 21mm with the shorter barrel?

The scope I have that I'd want to try it in is currently being worked on and will be out of commission until Spring, TLG. But I did wonder the same thing. Did whatever Baader did to shorten the 21mm allow this greater flexibility to work in faster optics?

I don't see why they wouldn't at least try to address this issue when you consider how faster F4, and F5 have become more common - if not even prevalent these days.

I would like to see the results to your question, too, TLG.

Dave

7 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

The scope I have that I'd want to try it in is currently being worked on and will be out of commission until Spring, TLG. But I did wonder the same thing. Did whatever Baader did to shorten the 21mm allow this greater flexibility to work in faster optics?

I don't see why they wouldn't at least try to address this issue when you consider how faster F4, and F5 have become more common - if not even prevalent these days.

I would like to see the results to your question, too, TLG.

Dave

I should get mine in a week or so. I will let you know how it is in my 12" F/5 Lightbridge. The one I am getting is the newer, shorter version.

I usually check everything: Comfort, edge correction, how parfocal it is wit my other eyepieces, how it fares with a barlow, and I will drift time it for true field.

-TLG

If Baader were going to improve the optical design to make it work better in faster scopes surely they would do that across the whole range and not just in one focal length ?

The Hyperions have been around for a decade or more so are probably overdue a re-design.

My guess is that the changes to the 21mm were to ensure that it delivered closer to the specified apparent field of view. It was considered the weakest of the range I seem to recall :icon_scratch:

I like the build and thoughful design of the Hyperions but not their edge performance in scopes faster than around F/8.

I have (at some stage!) had all the Hyperions. Ah, nostalgia! :)
I still have an Aspheric 31mm, 17mm and 10mm as a series...

Re. the long and short versions, the long version was a slightly
different design lens-wise. Some of the elements in the upper
part were missing and the nose element was more Barlow than 
(Symthe?) lens? Probable inability to clone ALL Vixen LVWs? ;)

No longer "Ms. Eyepiece" now, I suppose the natural upgrade
is the Morpheus? (I will keep the Aspheric!) Maybe the Morphs 
form a reasonably natural progression for an updated series... 
Good in "Fast" scope? I suppose begs the obvious question. :p

Long time since I thought about eyepieces, Visual Astro etc. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

So, I got the 21mm Hyperion in the post. Gave it a good test in the backyard with and without barlow lenses and I also added a 14mm Baader FTR or two to get different focal lengths. This is the newer, short type. 

-Nice eye relief

-Some field curvature and astig in my 12 in F/5 Lightbridge.

-Added a 14mm FTR and correction got a bit better.

-Added two 14mm FTR's and a barlow for 225x and correction was excellent

Overall not bad for a 21mm eyepiece. 

There's a few I have used which are better. I compared the FOV to my 28mm ES 68 and I would say that this 21mm Hyperion is about 67 degrees. The 28mm ES 68 is actually about 71.

Archived