Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Burntwood .

busby

Hello everyone !

Every time I search on the internet for advice or reviews , I seem to get directed to this website - so I thought I had better join !

I am a married dad of a lovely 14 month old who has forgotten what the pub looks like . I have been thinking about getting a telescope for a while now and have recently been photographing the moon with an EOS 350d with various levels of success . My lovely wife has said she will buy me a scope for my upcoming birthday and this is where you come in !

The budget is only about £200-£250 and it will be mainly used for looking at the moon , Saturn , Jupiter (and anything else I can find) . I would also like to be able to hook my camera up to it and take repectable photos .

I have been looking at the Skyliner 150p and Explorer 130p . Would these be suitable for my needs ?

Please be gentle as this is all new to me !

Thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi from across the M6 Toll at Brownhills

You'll always be able to see more with a 6" than a 5" but an 8" will be better especially for deep sky. (I'm currently questioning whether I can justify an upgrade from my 14")

You can keep the price down by going for a dobsonian mount but you'll only be able to take photos of solar system objects.

Oh, and never forget... astrophotography is a bottomless money pit!

For a more rounded view why not pop across the border to a Walsall Astro Society meeting at Rushall Olympic FC on a Thursday evening (don't tell 'er indoors but they've got a bar).

Hi Busby and welcome to SGL :(

A 150P as suggested above is a great idea and the latest models have a direct connection for dslr cameras using a T-ring. Do bear in mind that there are one or two essential extra's to build into the budget (eg collimation tool, coma corrector, filters, etc).

As Haitch say's - beware astrophotography is costly but you have the budget for a good basic start. Choose an equatorial mount for best results with a camera. :)

Hi & welcomed Busby from a sunny Willenhall !

For a more rounded view why not pop across the border to a Walsall Astro Society meeting at Rushall Olympic FC on a Thursday evening (don't tell 'er indoors but they've got a bar).

what time thursday's (start/finish) ? Every thursday ?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The best advice is to take your time as its better to make the right choice for you. I would take up any offers to go along to club/society meetings where you can link in with those that observe and who can show what you you can see through the eyepiece when they next go at and observe. Getting hands on (...or even eyes on) experience is worth its weight in gold as it will provide you with a benchmark against which to compare any scope that you might be thinking of getting. People have different expectations of what to expect observationally and you make the point of wanting to look primarily at planets/moon - that maybe the case until someone shows you some different objects to look at which might demand a slightly different type of scope! Dobsonians are the best value for money and images from planets and the moon can be secured from them via a webcam. They are not suitable for imaging other objects like galaxies, nebula etc as that will require some form of equatorial tracking which the 'dobs' don't have.

Ultimately the best way forward from a kit standpoint is to buy secondhand which will give you more aperture for your bucks. There is UK Astro Buy& Sell and also this forum's own 'Buy and Sell' which will require 50 posts to access along with 1 months active membership. Your oncoming birthday might put pressure on this slightly longer term approach but you will easily get to 50 posts by asking more questions regarding scopes and other items you might need. Of course we will have the benefit of your company in the process! (...crikey I sounded like a second hand cars salesman then:D:D)

Clear skies

James

Hi & welcomed Busby from a sunny Willenhall !

what time thursday's (start/finish) ? Every thursday ?

Every Thursday apart from the odd thing like Christmas getting in the way. Usually it's 8.30 for 9.00 ish but on the 1st Thursday of the month it's 7.30 for 8.00 when we usually have a guest speaker.

Every Thursday apart from the odd thing like Christmas getting in the way. Usually it's 8.30 for 9.00 ish but on the 1st Thursday of the month it's 7.30 for 8.00 when we usually have a guest speaker.

See you soon then ! (sorry to have hijacked the thread slightly)

Archived