Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR image - Can you seperate out the RGB channels?

Interested in whether you can seperate out the RBG channels of a DSLR image? If possible, can someone point me in the right direction? I have tried the channel extraction tool in PI, but all I get is 3 greyscale images.

Thanks for looking folks.

Thats "normal"... its what you would get imaging with a mono camera through coloured filters...

If you want colour then one way of doing it is...

Take each one and drop it into a "colour" document making sure you paste the mono image into the corresponding color channel...

Just went to try it in CS3...

Peter...

Thats made a huge assumption about my PI skills - I know what you mean, but I'm not sure how you'd do that!! Can you tell me in simple stupid terms please?!! For my benefit of course, not yours!!

I am sure it could be done in PI but I only use CS...

In CS its a doddle.. there will probably be all sorts of keyboard shortcuts ...

Open the colour image...

Make sure the chanels tab is active

Click on either R , G or B...

Select All (Ctrl-A)

Copy (Ctrl-V)

Open a new document...

The default mode will be grayscale - change it to RGB...

Post the copied channel into the corresponding color chanel - select it in the channels tab of the new document and then paste...

You should now have a "mono" but "coloured" image - if that makes any sense...

Repeat for the other 2 channels...

What are you trying to do - I see Martin has the same question...?

Peter...

Thanks for that, I'll revert to PS and see what I can do.

What am I wanting to do? ........... Well, I don't know really, just looking at bicolour images and ............. having a play with the effects of different channels and stuff. Sure I'll achieve the square root of nothing and haven't really got a clue what I am doing or what I want to achieve.

It's raining here in Spain and my TV channels are pixelating like mad - Nothing else to do!!!!

Mmm, I did want 3 different images ........................ I thought I could get different colours within an image, such as nebula colours - All I can do is change the whole colour shift of the image.

Thanks for that - Martin that link is exactly the sort of thing I was after. I don't think splitting the RGB from a DSLR image will achieve much, but with a NB and OIII filter, I do wonder what is possible.

In PI: Open a raw image then

Image > Extract > Split RGB Channels

You can use the same menu to extract a luminance channel.

You might need to debayer it first, or you get lots of squares when you zoom in!

In PI: Open a raw image then

Image > Extract > Split RGB Channels

You can use the same menu to extract a luminance channel.

You might need to debayer it first, or you get lots of squares when you zoom in!

Thanks for that Adam.

Archived