Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planetary Eyepiece Query

Rautospoon

For general "high power" planetary viewing, when seeing conditions permit, which of the following would members recommend for use in a WO Megrez 90 FL 558 ?

1. Nagler T6 9mm "Barlowed" at 2.5X to 3.6mm (x155) or

2. Radian 4mm (x140).

Cheers.

I would opt for the 4mm Radian.

Not because it is better then the Nagler but not sure if a barlow and and the Nagler combination would make a poorer image. As in what will the barlow introduce?

The straight 4mm should be good.

WOW where do you all get the money for these eyepieces! I must be doing something wrong..

Eyepieces have excellent resale value, so you can get most (and sometimes all) of the cash back when you need it - especially if you buy used. So with a bit of wishful thinking you can consider it savings :) and at 0.5% base rate and 4% inflation some of them are probably performing better :(

Sell stuff to buy stuff. That's how I've always done it.

yep - me too.

I am currently selling some moth books to pay for a 27mm Panoptic. I see eyepieces as a way to stop you frittering money away by locking it up - SEE it's a cost effective and monetarily sensible plan. :(

Yes I considered the Nagler Zoom, but was a bit concerned about "tight" eye relief and possible exit pupil problems. What do you think ?

(I have a N 13 T6 (43x and 107x with Barlow) and am considering a Pan 27 (21x) as my "low power". I need some advice regarding a "high power" EP)

Cheers.

How do you find the ER on the 13mm T6? If you like that EP then the 9mm T6 makes sense too, with a barlow to give you high-power options. 3-6mm Zoom is very nice (as is the 2-4mm) and gives lots of flexibility, but eye relief is quite tight. Better than an orthoscopic, but the Radians are much more comfortable IMO.

Do you expect to do a lot of high-power observing, or is it an occasional thing?

I find the eye relief on the nagler zoom to be quite usable. I think it's the design of the top end which seems very comfortable to me. I see you are on the Wirral. I am in Manchester and if you wanted to try mine in yours, you'd be welcome to come over.

I find the eye relief on the nagler zoom to be quite usable. I think it's the design of the top end which seems very comfortable to me. I see you are on the Wirral. I am in Manchester and if you wanted to try mine in yours, you'd be welcome to come over.

Thanks for the offer !

How do you find the ER on the 13mm T6? If you like that EP then the 9mm T6 makes sense too, with a barlow to give you high-power options. 3-6mm Zoom is very nice (as is the 2-4mm) and gives lots of flexibility, but eye relief is quite tight. Better than an orthoscopic, but the Radians are much more comfortable IMO.

Do you expect to do a lot of high-power observing, or is it an occasional thing?

Thanks for the reply. The situation is this. I recently purchased a Megrez 90, a WO 2.5x Barlow and I am presently awaiting delovery of a Giro 3 mount and Berlebach tripod from Telescope Sevices. Following much useful advice on here and CN I decided to "go for" a TV 13 T6 and 9 T6 as my medium and (when Barlowed) high powers. I have only so far bought the 13 but not yet used it. I am looking to (initially) obtain just 3 (TV) EP's before the sale"ends" to give the usual range of low, medium and high powers, the latter when viewing conditions and positions of the planets allow. Is it better to have the option of 2 magnifications (with the 9) or 1 magnification(with the Radian) - which is better for planets the 9 (plus Barlow) or the Radian ?

I am actually now considering either:

1. E21 (no Barlow use), N13 and N9 or

2. E21 (no Barlow use), N13 and R4.

It's the old story, money to spend, but so much choice in the modern age, that actually deciding what to buy is a nightmare !!

Cheers.

Thanks for the offer !

no problem. seeing your other post, it might be worth you coming over as 1) I have a decent range of eyepieces which will at least give you an idea of the mags of each before you buy and 2) will allow me a chance to look through a high quality refractor! :( oh, and 3) allow me to compare a 13mm Nagler with my 13mm Ethos.

Hi, Can anyone answer the question I posed previously ?

Is it better to have the option of 2 magnifications (with the Nagler 9mm T6)) or 1 magnification (with the 4mm Radian) - which is better for planets the 9 (with Barlow) or the 4 "on its own" ?

Cheers. ?

We've said slightly different things, rather than different opinions.

I'd agree with David that a decent Barlow doesn't seriously degrade a good eyepiece - I could see minimal, if any, difference between a 5mm XW and a 10mm XW + 2x Barlow in my AP130, for example. But having spent some time comparing a 5mm Radian to a 5T6 Nagler, IMO the Radian is the better planetary eyepiece. So my view is still

The 4mm Radian will be better for planetary work than a barlowed 9mm Nagler - but the Nagler will give you more options for other use. Really depends on what your priorities are.

The Nagler + Barlow option is (significantly) more expensive than the Radian, but will give you very useful options - so a good pick if the extra cost isn't an issue. But if your absolute priority is planetary performance then IMO buy the Radian.

We've said slightly different things, rather than different opinions.

I'd agree with David that a decent Barlow doesn't seriously degrade a good eyepiece - I could see minimal, if any, difference between a 5mm XW and a 10mm XW + 2x Barlow in my AP130, for example. But having spent some time comparing a 5mm Radian to a 5T6 Nagler, IMO the Radian is the better planetary eyepiece. So my view is still

The Nagler + Barlow option is (significantly) more expensive than the Radian, but will give you very useful options - so a good pick if the extra cost isn't an issue. But if your absolute priority is planetary performance then IMO buy the Radian.

Thanks for your further comments - appreciated !

Archived