Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First attempt at MOON MOSAIC with webcam

prbaxter

Baxter,

Great image, I have the same kit as you and have tried to capture the moon via my SPC900 (SPC880 Flashed) so far will no success. I do not have any motor drive, do you? So if you don't mind, could you talk me through your process, ie do you manually track part of the moon to capture the image then move to the next, process each in registax then stitch?

no motor drive. no tracking.

just take a video of the moon, passing through the field of view and then spend ages in registax trying to get the best image from it. I found using the simplest of allignment and reducing the number of alligned images works best (Limit).

Photoshop is best tool for merging photos, but you can probably do it in other apps.

Nicely done. Getting a motor drive will mean you can capture more frames, and use more. This will help with the end result. iMerge is pretty good at making the mosaic, and can handle the AVI's, so you can make sure you don't miss any bits. Not too bad if you're only doing one strip, but when you're doing more strips, it gets very important.

Now that is good for a first attempt and without any drives! And we have the same kit too!!

I have only done a couple of mosaics but the one I just posted maybe shows you can get a sharper end result with tracking - I did mine with 1200 frames each pane and registax was limiting the final stack to about 100 frames for each pane.

Thats a gret picture. Looks like iv'e got the same set up

What program did you use to stitch them together? Its something i want to have a go at, if the clouds stay away long enough

steve

Sorry, just read the other posts

for those of you who have the same kit, here is a sample of one of the AVI's I recorded before stacking - to give you some idea of what I was working with.

You cannot stack all frames but you have a good few hundred to play with. manual tracking was not possible due to the vibrations caused as a result of touching the rig. No barlow was used.

Here is a sample of the mosaic during processing and rotated as it should be:

post-22739-133877544685_thumb.jpg

post-22739-133877544691_thumb.jpg

Archived