SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Well, that was a whole lot more satisfying!

As I put out the bin for the morning, I noticed the miserable, windy and wet day had turned into lovely clear night. Looking up, the moon was clear and asking to be viewed.

I decided to give the scope a second try out, armed with a little more knowledge (i.e., I actually set the latitude correctly on the mount, I was 10degrees out first time!!:().

So, with the mount aligned roughly, I popped in the 32mm and located the moon. It was bright, but full of detail(if a little small). I worked up with the 25mm, and then the 10mm. The 10mm showed a lot of detail, but it was still a bit breezy so it really suffered from the occasional gust of wind.

I ended up with the 25mm barlowed, and spent quite a while on the moon, Completely mesmerised by the detail. I can see why Sir Patrick Moore spent a lot of his life studying it.

I then decided to have a quick peep at the Orion Nebula, so disappointing last time I took the scope out. Not sure if the seeing was better, or if it was the fact I'd "hidden" round the corner of the house, out of direct view of the street light, but the Nebula was clearly visible. I'm certain I saw the 4 stars of the Trapezium, but the wind was getting back up again and it was proving tricky.

I had a final look at the moon and decided to call it a night. It was getting a bit to breezy.

I'm far happier than last time I was out.:) The mount actually tracked, just turning the RA kept things central even though the alignment was a bit haphazard an took me all of 10 seconds! I'll improve on alignment as I go, I'm sure.

I didn't notice any CA with the scope (evostar 90), admittedly I didn't push the power up above 90x, it might be more apparent at higher mags.

Next time I'll be even better prepared, with a plan of what to view and a good idea of where to find them (I plan to work through "Turn Left at Orion".

Congtraz mate, Did you not try to view Saturn? It's out there the now. I'm at the process of trying to take a picture of the moon. Hopefully tommorow night I'll be able to take a picture, I had to pop out for semi final of pool.

Excellent outing with the new kit! I'm sure you will get more familiar and set up both more quickly and more accurately as you go. Sounds like you have a nice grab-and-go setup.

Wind is also a big factor, so next clear night (I know..:( !) when it isn't so breezy, have another go. On top of everything else, wind makes ME feel so much colder that the observing isn't as enjoyable!

I'm sure your views will continue to improve!

Dan

Great to hear of another's success, Nick!

I spent an hour fiddling trying to get the Orion Nebula in view. There's so much LP around here that even with a telrad I couldn't get it in the FOV. I'm beginning to think a few blackouts might be a good thing.

Sooooo . . . be proud you got the views you did. Well done!!

Nice job on the moon. I was watching a crazy video on YouTube last night. Think it was called Moon Rising. Apparently the moon is not a grey lifeless rock as we are led to believe and it teeming with life! Large pinch of salt taken just now! It was thought evoking though....

Nice job on the moon. I was watching a crazy video on YouTube last night. Think it was called Moon Rising. Apparently the moon is not a grey lifeless rock as we are led to believe and it teeming with life! Large pinch of salt taken just now! It was thought evoking though....

I'm sure I saw a couple of clangers on there, and the soup dragon!:( (This may not mean much to anyone under 40!)

Seriously, the scope is great though, as mentioned in a previous post, it works well as a grab and go, I was outside, set up within 10 mins!

Archived