Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Has anyone ever taken their scope on a plane?

jmfdiver

Bolt wings, tail section & engines onto the tube :(

Seriously - don't risk it. You're never sure what the regs are, interpretation is subject to whatever the jobsworth at the gate says & they'll probably have altered by the time you're coming back again anyway. Don't put anything in the baggage hold unless it can stand falling from 35,000 feet, the baggage handlers have a way of breaking it however carefully it's packed and especially if it's marked "fragile".

In a shipping container. On a ship.

well hang on it gets chucked into a crate at the factory and then into the container and then on to the boat and then off the boat and on to on to another lorry at the other end etc etc

anyway, my dob survived that and a flight :(

Its a sw 102 startravel so it's not that big. We have'nt got any other carry on luggage. Don't worry I am going to put the tripod in a suitcase and take the scope on board hand luggage . So thats sorted now.

Thanks anyway

Jen

I've taken mine but always had the OTA as hand luggage and the mount and tripod in the case and never had a problem

You might also want to carry a couple of mags or astro books on with you to help explain what it is

Steve

You might also want to carry a couple of mags or astro books on with you to help explain what it is

Steve

I can picture it now. My hubby always gets pulled at customs.

I think it's because we are on the Malaga drugs route and he used to drive it in a BMW Convertable with red leather seats (mid life crisis car) That's made me chuckle. Whats in the boot Sir

20 litres of olive oil and a telescope!

:(

I think it's because we are on the Malaga drugs route and he used to drive it in a BMW Convertable with red leather seats

That reminds me of the story of the London policeman who pulled over a big car being driven by a black man - very suspicious. When the driver produced ID to prove he was the Bishop of Stepney, the policeman is quoted as saying, "Oops...."

Im a pilot. The OTA should be fine but if the mount is the altaz PLEASE disconnect the battery before packing it. You will not believe how fast a nice warm hold fire will end your observing days for ever.

Good luck with the trip.

D

PLEASE disconnect the battery before packing it. You will not believe how fast a nice warm hold fire will end your observing days for ever.

Aw c'mon ... airliner baggage holds tend to have fire suppression systems fitted, there's not enough energy in a small battery to start a decent fire without the aid of kindling of some sort or other and the chance of a battery actually shorting out whilst in transit are pretty remote. You're much more likely to get a fire starting in the wiring of the avionics systems integrated into the aircraft.

Archived