SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M81 rework and a few more subs!

SlipperySquid

Hi again all,

This is a rework of my M81 data with and added 36mins in the RGB (So totaling 72mins in each channel consisting of 6 and 8 minute subs) also added just over 2hrs in luminance in 8 minute subs.

Used a couple of tutorials from here to help processing,though the colour balance is still a little out.

I do like the final piccy but if anyone wants a dabble at reprocessing,feel free!

Thanks

Matt.

post-17960-13387754319_thumb.jpg

Nice dust detail, nice wrok.:(

The Red could do with a push, but thats probably best done earlier in the processing of the raw data. Did you use an lp filter if so it may be worth upping the sub lengths of the red.

If you have a ha filter that always works well with this target too.

Mike.

Cheers mate, I did a few reprocesses of the image and did push the reds and got better star colour etc, but I seemed to loose a lot of colour data in the red channel when I removed star halos (I had reflections in the green and red channels around the brighter stars)

Also I'm using a Astronomik cls filter which is giving strong purple hue to my images.

I'll have another go at trying to bring the reds out, and like you said Mike, probably best to do it at the beginning!

OK.....This is a reprocess of a reprocess :( redone the image added a bit more to the red channel (going to get some Ha data on next clear night) and messed about with it some more!

I think this one is better?

Thanks for the comments Peter, I'm really chuffed with this one! Things are finally coming together but I still have to much to learn :)

Have a gander at this and see what ya think?

post-17960-133877543651_thumb.jpg

You're coming on leaps and bounds with this imaging malarkey Matt.

Graet capture, and the reprocess is much better colour balanced.

You've ended up with a common effect of sharpening though, which is the dark halos around the stars.

What sharpening technique did you use?

Cheers

Rob

I used the smart sharpen option in PS but only on the main body of the galaxy as a masked layer.

I see what you mean about the halo's it's either where I've over saturated the image or a myriad of other things! I did you the remove bloom option in maxim, but only manually selected the brightest stars.Or might be something to do with NeatImage...Honestly I don't know! I never noticed it until you pointed it out Rob :)

This processing is really hard.....but fun...and it's great when I learn something new!

Cheers John and Roger for the comments! Imaging with a CCD is so much more in-depth than I thought it would be.

Makes me want to tear my hair out if I had any :(

We'll get to the bottom of it at SGL6 Matt....there are a few things that can cause this, but there are workarounds......maybe you weren't wearing your yakfur undies when you were processing :(:D:D

Cheers

Rob

As to the dark halo's could it be when I used the "make stars smaller" action from noel carboni's actions?

Doubt it Matt...what usually happens if that's overused is that you get diamond shaped stars.

Rings around stars are usually caused by unsharp mask or deconvolution.

Cheers

Rob

Archived