Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My Quantum 7.4 mods

jarbi

Hi,

I just would like to share some of my improvements on the Quantum 7.4 bino.

First of all, I have received it with the nice gold guide scope - which you just cannot adjust properly, it is fix. So replaced its holder by a Skywatcher finder foot, now I can put a red dot finder or another small finder there :( (see first photo ). The screw of the original foot fits exactly, so no drill needed !

By using the scope I discovered an obvious design fault: it is mounted under his center of mass ( see second picture ). Therefore it falls over just in every position unless you tighten the fork bolt firmly. My solution is reusing two Meade Lightbridge counterweights ( 0.8kg each ). They nicely clip on the fork, and there is enough clearence to turn the scope to any position ( third photo ). Now it is almost in perfect balance. It stays in place with just a small tightening, and you can still easily adjust the position without loosening the azimut bolt.

My only concern is still the ocular clamp, since it is not holding very strong ( specially in nerar zenit positions ). I don't find any way to make it stiffer, maybe someone figured out how could it be done.

cheers,

Janos

post-13278-133877543174_thumb.jpg

post-13278-133877543199_thumb.jpg

post-13278-133877543207_thumb.jpg

Archived