Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Chesire Collimator or Laser?

I prefer the Hotech laser. Unfortunately it's not cheap but it's very accurate. I suppose it's another case of you get what you pay for.

On thing to consider re: Cheshires. Not everyone can use a Cheshire as they can't focus on the cross-hair. I can't use a Cheshire at all for that very reason.

John

Not gonna rant much on this thread (I already did somewhere else :() but my Hotech came out of collimation, cost me 120£ and they charge me 45$ in postage to get it fixed, which I'm not willing to pay. Now it's in a drawer gathering dust.

Not gonna rant much on this thread (I already did somewhere else :() but my Hotech came out of collimation, cost me 120£ and they charge me 45$ in postage to get it fixed, which I'm not willing to pay. Now it's in a drawer gathering dust.

no guarantee?

An auto-collimator--hard to explain but it's basically a mirror with a small hole in it. You place in the focuser and look through the hole. The centre spot get reflected in the mirror's surface and, through some complicated optical magic, you end up with 4 reflections of the centre spot. You stack the reflections to collimate the scope. Here's a video of how you use one: CATSEYE VISUAL IMAGE GALLERY

The cheshire/sight-tube combo tool will do you just fine and is sufficient for collimating a scope. If you ever need greater accuracy on a faster Dob, buy the Catseye autocollimator. It's cheaper than a quality laser and probably more accurate. Generally speaking, a well-made autocollimator is super accurate.

The one that you find easier to use.

To determine that you will have to buy both and try them out on the scope.

Since only by using one or both can it be determined which you find the best to use there is no answer.

Archived