Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tripod for binoculars adivce

NGK

Hi Guys,

I'm going to get my self a pair of the lidls binoculars (if i can find a store that sells them that is) and was wondering if there's a special type of tripod i need?

I have a cheap Hama "star" (63 IIRC) tripod. It does the job just fine, not stable to hold and view but much better than handholding and you can look through the binos without touching them just fine.

Thanks tac, do i need to get an adaptor for them or are they like a camera with the screw hole on the underside? sorry if this is a silly question i've never owned or used a pair before so i'm a bit clueless.

Thanks tac, do i need to get an adaptor for them or are they like a camera with the screw hole on the underside? sorry if this is a silly question i've never owned or used a pair before so i'm a bit clueless.

Yeah you'll need an adaptor like this Accessories - L-Type Binocular Tripod Adapters. The larger one will make it more stable.

It screws into a hole under a cover on the end of the hinge. You just unscrew the cover. hunter10x50tripodconnection.png

When mounted they'll look a bit like this. cde8ef41f8324b78ccdad2cceeb58e1f.jpg

No question is a silly question. Ask away that's what everyone is here for. :)

You're welcome NGK. That picture about from Tac shows it well.

Needless to say, my binoculars are quite substantial 15x70's on a fairly cheap photographic tripod. I'd definitely upgrade the tripod if it was my main stargazing tripod but it works really really well as all you have to do is loosen both axis a little bit, move the binoculars to the target and then tighten them up again. It's rock solid stable as long as you don't touch it when looking through.

It is the Hama Star 63 and cost me about £12. You can certainly get better if you want to spend a little more.

Hi Nick,

Whilst I use a very expensive tripod and head it is only because I own them for photography. You don't need to spend that much money:

http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/132948-new-binos.html

However, what you need to make sure is you have a good head so you can easily move the binoculars around. A gimbal head is the best all round solution and you can find them at a lower cost than mine which will be fine. I need the Wimberley because of the weight which is obviously not a problem with binoculars.

The only problem I have with the Horizon 8115 as linked to is it does not appear to allow the legs to spread further out. You need to be able to do this if you want to sit or lie down in a beach chair.

So my suggestion is to work out how much you want to spend and think about the two points mentioned, ie:

1. A good head that will allow you to swivel the binoculars with ease.

2. A tripod that will allow the legs to spread very wide over your chair.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Nick,

Whilst I use a very expensive tripod and head it is only because I own them for photography. You don't need to spend that much money:

http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/132948-new-binos.html

However, what you need to make sure is you have a good head so you can easily move the binoculars around. A gimbal head is the best all round solution and you can find them at a lower cost than mine which will be fine. I need the Wimberley because of the weight which is obviously not a problem with binoculars.

The only problem I have with the Horizon 8115 as linked to is it does not appear to allow the legs to spread further out. You need to be able to do this if you want to sit or lie down in a beach chair.

So my suggestion is to work out how much you want to spend and think about the two points mentioned, ie:

1. A good head that will allow you to swivel the binoculars with ease.

2. A tripod that will allow the legs to spread very wide over your chair.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Have you seen any tripods that have a counterbalanced extendable arm like those used to hold desk lights or surgical lamps?

Now one of those in the garden would be fun :)

Mike

Archived